1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

A few more shots with the NEX-7 + Canon FD 100/4.0 Macro Lens

Discussion in 'Nature' started by roundball, Jun 10, 2014.

1. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    SUNRISE ORANGE CALLA LILY…ELEGANCE IN SIMPLICITY

LONE RED FLOWER – YELLOW CENTER

LARGE RED LILY

LARGE RED LILLY CLOSER MACRO DETAIL

• Like Like x 7
  2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    #1 and #2 are my favourites! Nice work ;)

3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Well done.

4. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Love #1, the orange calla lily.
    The others aren't bad either. ;)

5. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    All great, but that calla is superb.

6. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Funny thing about that Calla Lily...it was basically an afterthought yet turned out to be one of the best.
    Picture walking along a winding path with shrubs & various patches of flowers planted 4-5' deep along each side.
    I'm there all full of energy anxious to get started with macro, and so many of the flowers up ahead have big, bold, strong colors that catch your eye and draw you to them.

The Calla Lily was almost ho-hum, standing off by itself a few feet away from the path and at first glance didn't have that "eye candy" appeal that most of the others did...I actually didn't even bother with it on the first pass, going back later to take a shot because it was so simple / unique. Only when I got a few feet from it and studied it did I begin to see the colors...the water drops from the sprinkler system that had gone off at daybreak I assume...the dark green background, etc...so I got busy.
    I also wanted to take a couple shots down it's throat as I could see there were colorful elements deep inside as well, but it was just out of reach from the path and I couldn't get the lens over it vertically (understandably, you can't step into / disturb the planted areas, etc).

Plenty more flowers there to shoot...mostly down low in beds or in racks of hanging pots...but flowers are flowers and I'm going back again soon to see what else I can learn / improve upon. Plus, if the weather / lighting is different, some of the same flowers I already shot would be different. One surprise I had this trip, unlike late summer last year, was that I didn't see any butterflies and only those couple of bumble bees...they both add so much to these kinds of nature shots and hopefully that'll change over the summer.
    But temps & humidity are both supposed to be in mid-90's today so it'll probably be a bit later in the week.