1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

A few macro insects...learning this tough art

Discussion in 'Nature' started by shaolin95, Sep 3, 2013.

1. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    Well, right now I am working on the easiest subjects...ones that dont move a lot! :D

Attached Files:

2. sleekdigital

sleekdigital TalkEmount Regular

May 7, 2013
    Looks like you are getting the feel for it and getting some nice sharp details in the desired places. The lighting looks a bit harsh, are you using the diffuser yet?

3. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Technically, they seem okay (yeah, the light is not beautiful, but you'll learn that with some practice). But the backgrounds are boring, and the poses aren't too exciting either. If you want to do it as an art and not for documenting something, you'll have to think further.

4. sleekdigital

May 7, 2013
    I've been chatting with shaolin a bit... think he is just trying to get his setup working and getting a feel for getting high magnification... practicing getting the important bits in the narrow DOF.

5. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    Yes, I was having issues trying to get the flash showing balanced. I do have it but still not mastering it as you can see. :D
    A problem I have is, I want to use a small aperture like 16 or 22 and a fast shutter speed while keeping the ISO at 100 but then the LCD is almost black so I need to keep swtich aperture or the ISO to get focus then change back to shoot but of course, I am not seeing if I nailed the focus or not. So I need to figure out what I am doing wrong with my approach.

Well, they are dead..not like they will be very interesting but I am using them to see if I can get some detail before I can move with real ones. Right now, I need to figure out what I am doing wrong because is not possible for me to do it with live ones if I take forever to set it up lol So yeah, being artistic was not even in my mind when I did this...is my workshop sort of speak

6. sleekdigital

May 7, 2013
    Turn off the "Live View Display" in the camera settings. This way you will be able to see in the LCD.

7. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    Haha I knew there must be something dumb I was doing. Thanks a ton... this will help me a lot. :)

Sent from my SGH-I317 using TalkNEX mobile app

8. markoneswift

markoneswift TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 17, 2012
    Good work mate, what about getting a macro focusing rail and doing some stacking ? You're getting great magnification ( what lens setup ? ) but your DoF is tiny. Stacking will get you all the DoF you need :)

9. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    Never heard of that rail but I will surely research it now! :) I am using a Vivitar MC Macro 100mm F3.5 1:1 extension. I was using a big aperture because of the dumb thing I was doing which didnt let me see if I went to small with the aperture. I will try again today. :D
    Thanks

10. sleekdigital

May 7, 2013
    Just a quick note that, at least in my experience with this lens, diffraction seems to get pretty noticeable around f16. So don't be surprised if you start to notice a decrease in overall sharpness when you do this.

11. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    Ahh....maybe I am experiencing that. I was too quick to assume smaller apertures were better with it. I will play with 22, 16, 11 to see what I get. Now that I can actually SEE things thanks to your live view advice, it will make it a lot easier to experiment and get more consistent results :)

12. markoneswift

markoneswift TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 17, 2012
    Yes the rail basically connects to your tripod, then the camera / lens connect onto the rail. You then use the rail to move the camera back and forth so you can take multiple exposures at different focal points, without altering the exposure settings. After you have taken your exposures, stack them together and see what you get ! Good luck !

13. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    Sounds awesome. Thanks for the explanation! I will look into it indeed. :)

14. macro

macro TalkEmount Regular

Feb 3, 2012
    New Zealand
    Danny Young
    Darn good at those ratios. Showing some good details in there and good practise taking shots like this. Be good to see you out and about on other moving subjects ;)

All the best and keep them coming.

Danny.

15. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    I got some more practice yesterday and even got one live bee eating some dead creature :D
    I will post a few but yes, I feel better now to move on to live stuff on the weekend.
    Thanks amigo! :)