1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

A Different Frontier

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by TonyTurley, Jun 7, 2013.

1. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Today was not a great day for photography - gray, misty, and overcast - but I wanted to share this neat paint job. This E190 flies into here from time to time. I tweaked the photos a bit to enhance the contrast, but there is only so much you can do sometimes. The third photo was an attempt to catch the plane frozen while everything around it was blurred, but the lens I was using wasn't long enough to make it work well. Vivitar 50/1.8, ISO 100, 1/50, f/16.

Tony

Attached Files:

2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I don't think I've ever seen a runway with that little space off to the side (except the old Kai Tak airport in Hong Kong). You sure wouldn't want to have a tire blow out. And I bet crosswind landings can get a little interesting. :D

3. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    I have indeed seen aircraft with some pretty serious crabbing when they landed. When this facility was built in the 1940s, they sliced off the top of 3 consecutive peaks and filled between them to create the airport. It is literally a mountaintop environment, with a 500' drop into the valleys below. There is an arresting system at the end of one runway to keep aircraft from going down into the valley. I have stood on that end of the hilltop and looked down - the drop is intimidating.

Tony