A decision has to be made, need Help!

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Mpshah, Jul 28, 2013.

1. Mpshah

Mpshah New to TalkEmount

Jul 6, 2013
    Alright folks I'm a fairly new owner of the Nex-6 and been playing around with it for couple of weeks.
    Now me and the family are gonna be making a 11 day trip to South Africa very soon. Here's the tricky part - should I choose the Nex-6 over my trusted Nikon D7K for the trip or stick with the Nikon???

So far I only have the kit lens and the SEL 55-210 on the Nex. While with the Nikon I have tons of primes and telephoto's.

Appreciate your feedback on this. Cheers.
  2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Both are great cameras. I personally would take the one where I have the lenses for that I want to use. Or I'd buy an adapter for them, at least.
  3. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Ad Dieleman
    I truly believe that the most important consideration should be how well you feel at home with the NEX-6 and how sure you are that you know what the camera will do in various circumstances. IMHO it's hardly possible to know a camera through and through within a few weeks.

You say "my trusted D7K". That says it all. Take the Nikon gear. If you pack the NEX-6 in addition, be sure to make your important pics with the D7K.
  4. Jaf-Photo

Jaf-Photo TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 25, 2013
    I think the obvious answer is the Nikon with some good lenses. If there is room pack the NEX as a secondary
  5. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    If you're going to be shooting wildlife, you're probably going to want something with more reach than the 55-210. I agree with the others who have posted here: the NEX will make a fine backup.
  6. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    I agree with the others and I would definitely take the NEX-6 with me but only the kit lens for times I was just running around shopping etc.
  7. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    I went to Africa with 5N + 18-200LE + 50/1.8 + Sigma 19/2.8 - I barely used the Sigma and never felt I missed a thing... well except some extreme birdwatching but I also had a spare Panasonic FZ200 for that.
  8. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    It really depends on if you feel comfortable enough with the NEX-6 to trust it on a trip like this. You don't want to get home and not like your images. As mentioned there are adapters which will let you use your Nikon lenses on your NEX in manual focus mode.

Plenty of our members are converting from large DSLR's to solely an NEX.