A December hike with a friend

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by NickCyprus, Dec 7, 2015.

1. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Had a great time the past weekend with my friend @Alex_Apo@Alex_Apo (you've probably already seen one excellent photo from Alex in the pic a day thread) when we decided to take a short hike to a fantastic place nearby to do some photography :)
    Really "enjoyed the journey and not just the destination" (even if my photos are not that great :) )

22940814593_9be7dbd252_b. DSC08099 by Nick Corrado, on Flickr

23199969019_7d5f0c1221_b. DSC08097 by Nick Corrado, on Flickr

22939632144_2745f01c43_b. DSC08101 by Nick Corrado, on Flickr

23459236922_a5ffa86773_b. DSC08103 by Nick Corrado, on Flickr

23199894769_7147b07200_b. DSC08118-2 by Nick Corrado, on Flickr

23541736896_40bd371f01_b. DSC08119 by Nick Corrado, on Flickr

23196133369_7b4c63f1d1_b. DSC08111 by Nick Corrado, on Flickr

23564061105_5fa1fa6322_b. Untitled by Nick Corrado, on Flickr

A7 with FE 28-70 and MD 24-35

• Like Like x 14
  2. Mus Aziz

Mus Aziz TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2015
    Mus
    Beautiful pics and place Nick. :thumbup:

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Yeah, love the mood in the last two especially. Not much hiking around here in December. :shakehead:

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Yep. Love the mood of the last 2

5. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Lovely place, lovely shots

Location?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
  6. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Really like the LE compositions. What a wonderful location!
    (I just got back from a hike today as well. Accompanied two Canadians for a 8-mile trail through the Sonoran desert. )

7. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Love the shots - felt my stress level go down as I viewed them!

• Like Like x 1
  8. michealj

michealj TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 2, 2015
    Blaine, MN
    Nice. A bit of a time lapse through the day. Very nice.

9. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Thanks all !

@davect01@davect01 its a water dam not very far from Limassol, Cyprus :)

@fractal@fractal Chris, I feel the same way when I'm out photographing and that another reason I enjoy the "journey" so much :)

Again, appreciate all the kind comments ;)

10. SpaceManSpiff

SpaceManSpiff TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Eric
    Hmmm, that looks like a great time. Like the use of flare in #4 and the last two.

11. DailyPeaksCO

DailyPeaksCO Guest

Thank you for sharing these. A learning newbie and reviews helps me critique my own work hoping I improve from iggh to better. I'm a junkie of incorporating layering composition into photography. To contain elements that lead you thru the image, bounce from foreground, subject & background to compose a visually compelling image. Loving #4 over its' b/w #3. I take in a breathe every time I return to #4. Key elements in shadows, reflections, highlights, leading lines. The shoreline plays along the foreground widening in mid frame. Foreground sands offer textures sweetened by sunset shadows and balance light the same way the shores sand balances shadows in the right side of the frame. (two points of interest for me) The shallows of the stream bed reflect the left shores mountain seasonal yellow-green highlights. For me, the streams leading lines connect at this point, my curiosity is led across to infinity beyond the bend of the background where possibilities are that I cannot see. The triangular reaches of the sunset flare give me a sense of urgency as the sun sets. If I dig my feet under the sand I will find the warmth from the days sun. Lovely!
    Your last image conversely I'm drawn to the glow of the background first but my eye wants to land on the shores bed rock point as the subject. Key elements in horizon, reflections, contrast. The diminishing horizon back lights the grays in the sky reflecting onto the stream. A glow in mid frame I seek for what made the slivered smooth wake cutting across into dusk. Lower mid frame captures the shorelines rocky point which mimics the mountain range. Even though not a reflection yet closely a reverse image. How unique to capture the contoured edge of the shoreline with the likeness of the mountain range. Kudos! This black rock point has a cooling effect from the waters dark foggy appearance or icing effect (was this thru slow shutter speed?) both which are growing onto the edge of the shores dark shoulders. Shiny reflections off the black rocky bed come into frame and from where the depth of dusk is realized. I hope to someday gain the skills demonstrated here. Lovely.

12. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Lovely, I especially like the sunset shots.

13. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Thanks for all the kind comments people :)

14. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    Lovely series, Nick. Especially like the ones after sunset.