A deal I couldn't refuse

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by TonyTurley, Jul 20, 2013.

1. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    My family knows I'm into old camera gear. My collection is modest, but nice. Today my sister-in-law told me to go talk to my brother-in-law. "He's got something for you in the truck." Hmmmmm . . . cryptic.

He proceeded to tell me he had some old film camera stuff he had bought years ago, used a few times, and put into storage. "This stuff is going to cost you an arm and a leg", he says. "I want you to fix Lisa's laptop, get all the viruses off of it, and recover her photos". That's the price? "Yep."

He proceeded to pull out of his truck a Minolta XG7 with a Minolta 28/2.8, a Minolta hot shoe flash, a Sakar Auto MC 135mm f/2.5 Macro, and a Minolta Rokkor-X 50mm f/1.7. Dang!! This stuff was mint; no haze, fungus, oil, or even dust. I pointed out that this was some high quality stuff. "It's yours. Just fix the computer". I expressed my gratitude, but I feel like I came out way better on this deal.

Wow. Just wow.

Tony

2. Jazzer

Jazzer TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    New York
    Larry
    Congrats on the loot! :D Looking forward to seeing some more of your pics.

3. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Now you have to take a killer pic and print it large to give to them using one of the lenses. ;)

4. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    No Vivitars, but hey Minolta isn't half bad :). Let us know how you like the lenses, I'm especially curious how you will react to the 28mm. And some nice pics would be in order, we know you can do that!

5. Hypocaffeinic

Hypocaffeinic TalkEmount Regular

Jun 16, 2013
    Qld, Australia
    Holy cow! I hope you're good with computers...

6. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    i agree lol if you can not you will have to return the set. :026:
    Congrats

7. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Yeah, I've been around a few here and there. :)

8. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Here's the first photo with the Rokkor 50 and Nex-5R. The roses under the light looked really cool, so I thought what better way to start. Not bad.

Tony

82_zpseb04b51d.

9. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    That's a nice score!!!
    The capabilities of the MD 50 1.7 are well known and I've read good reviews about the MD 28 2.8 but I'd be more curious to see some shots and your thoughts on that 135mm f/2.5

Congrats ;)

10. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Thanks. I'm definitely going to be swapping through some lenses in the next few days. I like the 135 FL for certain situations.

Tony

11. claude

claude TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 13, 2013
    Ottawa Canada
    I wish I knew how to fix computers.

12. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Plus that 135mm is a fast-ish one too!!! Should be interesting for low light portraits IMO ;)

13. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    My camera and camera bag have been outfitted with a few new lenses . . . let the clicking commence. :)

Tony