1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

A day in Cambridge (UK), A7 and FE 24-70

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by Narenek, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Narenek

Narenek TalkEmount Regular

Oct 1, 2013
    Northampton England
    My partner currently has her oldest friend over from France for a weeks visit, so we took her to Cambridge for the day. Unfortunately all the buildings we wanted to actually go in were shut for either private functions or in one case the making of a film. That didn't stop us taking a trip on the river in the traditional punt.. and damn was it busy. Our guide said he'd rarely seen it busier or with so many people who couldn't steer the punts (we saw at least 3 cases of people who left their poles behind in the river and 2 people who very nearly went swimming.. shame in one case as i pre-empted it and had the camera ready).

I've recently upgraded to the A7 from a Nex6 and definitely find it different. I'm still not used to the change in DoF and need for better technique. That said I'm pretty amazed by what the camera and lens is picking up in some shots.

_DSC0625.
    _DSC0629.
    _DSC0656.
    _DSC0657.

Mathematical Bridge, despite looking like an arch all the timbers in this bridge are straight and allow it to be self supporting.
    _DSC0678.
    _DSC0692.

The bridge of Sigh's connecting 2 parts of St John's College
    _DSC0720.
    _DSC0725.
    _DSC0731.
    _DSC0753.
    _DSC0757.
    _DSC0780.

King's College chapel
    _DSC0783.

• Like Like x 5
  2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Looks like you captured the feel of the place very well. I especially like the 3rd shot. Too bad you couldn't get the full punt in the frame. I guess you'd need a 20-70 lens for that, eh? ;)

3. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Nice photos!

And yeah that river is crowded!!!

4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Very pleasant looking day out and about.