A couple questions on old Alpha mount lenses and LAEA2

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Amamba, Aug 9, 2013.

1. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    So yesterday, I received an unexpected gift from a distant relative... a mint Konica Minolta 7D with two lenses - Tokina 28-80/2.8 and Sigma 12-24/4.5-5.6.

Before that, I was kinda/sorta toying with an idea of getting an adapter and some old Maxxum glass for my Nex, but the size of the lenses put me off.. now that I have a couple lenses and the camera body to put them on (granted only 6.1MP but still should be good for most type of shots) this becomes almost a must.

So, I have two questions.

First, what AF lenses from film Minoltas are really good ? As I understand, the MD glass can not be used on A bodies, at least not with infinity focusing. I plan on using Nex as my main camera, still, so getting a Beercan, 50/1.7 and 35-70/4 Macro in AF versions is probably not going to happen unless I find them for a ridiculously low price - I already have them in MD. I need glass that I could use both on the Konica 7D and on Nex. Based on a quick web research, the Tokina is basically an OK lens, wide open, not as sharp as say Sigma 17-50/2.8. But Sigma 12-24 seems to be getting pretty good reviews. This covers the wide range - and that's what I am missing, my widest lenses for Nex are the 18-55 kit and Sigma 19.

I don't yet want to invest in expensive more modern Sony Alpha glass, as I am not sure where I would progress from here, and don't want to drop over half a grand on a lens I may end up not using much.

2nd, do I understand it right that LA-EA2 adaptor has it's own PDAF and so would provide fast AF even on the Nex bodies that only have CDAF, like F3 ? I don't mind paying extra $100 to get fast focusing, but I am a bit put off by size difference vs LA-EA1.

2. ecaggiani

ecaggiani TalkEmount Regular

Jun 19, 2013
    San Jose, CA
    Ed Caggiani
    Correct, MD lenses cannot be used on A bodies, but with a $9.99 adapter, you can use an MD lens on your NEX. I do this and love the results from these old manual lenses.

For lenses you can use on your 7D and your NEX, you will need either the LA-EA1 or LA-EA2 adapter. Yes, the LA-EA2 does give you PDAF and greatly increases your NEX's focus speed. But you do pay $100 more and it is a larger adapter. Here's what my NEX-3N looks like with the LA-EA2 and a 70-300mm AF lens attached:

IMAG0209.

If you're looking for small, get the LA-EA1 if you can live with the CDAF focusing. Otherwise, I highly recommend the LA-EA2 for basically turning your mirrorless camera into a DSLR :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.