1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

A couple of water falls

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by jeffmurray, Mar 7, 2015.

1. jeffmurray

jeffmurray TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 18, 2014
    Hobart, Australia
    Jeff
    Its a long weekend here in Australia (Labour Day) so I am out and about a bit.

Here are a couple of waterfalls in the Mt Wellington national park. They are quite small and off the beaten track - easy to get to with car and a bit of walking - but not well known.

Sony A7R and the Vario Tessar 16 - 35mm with a Cokin Z-Pro CPL.

My favourite of the two is the smaller Secret Falls.

A 3 shot HDR - manually calculated exposures - 3.2 to 6 seconds @ F5.6. 17mm. ISO 320.

DSC00851_2_3-Edit-L.

And Myrtle Falls - larger but messy :)

A 4 shot HDR - manually calculated exposures (nothing special here just kept dropping it until the light bit above the falls was evenly exposed) - 1 - 30 seconds. 16mm @ F9 and ISO 320.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 11
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I so wish I had some waterfalls nearby but in the central part of my state there just aren't any.
    There are scores of big falls in the mountains in the western pat of my state, but its a half day drive each way.
    really need to research / plan out a 3 day trip or something and hit a few different falls...

• Like Like x 1
  3. jeffmurray

Dec 18, 2014
    Hobart, Australia
    Jeff
    We're lucky like that in Hobart. We have mountains, coastal country, Old Growth Forrest, river views its all on the doorstep. Only challenge here is employment - can be hard to get a job in the area - but if you do its well worth the lifestyle.

When I run out of places nearby - I hope to get to the south west - trouble is there are no roads in and its a seven day trek!

4. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    HDR as it should be. Amazing how clear the water is in the pools. Well done Jeff. :)

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. jeffmurray

Dec 18, 2014
    Hobart, Australia
    Jeff
    Yes I like it natural too - not a huge fan of the high detail and saturated look either.

Just enough to expose the shadows and keep detail in the high lights.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using TalkEmount mobile app

6. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Just lovely, enjoy the extra time off.

• Like Like x 1
  7. southy

southy TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 5, 2014
    Australia
    Nice part of the world well captured. As Bimjo stated nice work with the HDR. I'm another who's not a fan of the crazy surreal HDR look.

• Like Like x 1
  8. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Beautiful! And if only they were "straight-out-of-the-camera," they'd be truly great! :rolleyes-20: :laugh1: :hail:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. jeffmurray

Dec 18, 2014
    Hobart, Australia
    Jeff
    Thanks Dave, Southy and Woodworks. I like 'em straight out of the camera, just can't get them like this unless I shoot jpg and who would do that? :)

Off to the Taste of Huon festival - food pics . . . hmm might leave the cameras at home, although I did shoot coffee last week.

Here's one straight out of the camera:

DSC00848.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
    • Like Like x 4
  10. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Great work!

• Like Like x 1
  11. jeffmurray