A cool-looking camera bag that fits my needs?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Poki, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    I'm in a bit of a dilemma right now. I'll probably need a dedicated camera bag for day long trips for this summer. But I am not able to find something that fits all my needs. From the looks and the concept, I really like the Manfrotto Photo Hatchback, but it doesn't have any option to include a tripod, and I absolutely need one. To get my weight down I'll probably also purchase on of these tripods that fold down to 32 cm and weigh less than a kilogram.

Do you know any backpack that looks stylish (just like the Photo Hatchback does) and fits these needs:

- fits a NEX-7 with one lens and two extra lenses, all lenses about the size of the 24mm CZ
    - fits a tripod (32cm folded)
    - fits two spare batteries, some spare SD cards and a filter case (about as big as 2 67mm filters beneath each other)
    - has a comfortably sized compartment for personal items
    - fits an iPad [optional]
    - doesn't scream "Hey! I'm a photo nerd bag!"
    - is as light as possible

?

I really can't find one. If the Photo Hatchback would have a compartment that would fit a 32 cm tripod, I might have just take that one. But sadly, it doesn't. And I prefer putting the tripod INSIDE the backpack, not at the side for several reasons, which makes finding a perfect backpack even more difficult ...

Thanks for any help!

2. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Really? No such bag exists?

3. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    Nah, we're just all scared of what you think of as cool. :p

4. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    lol!!

5. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Kata has some backpacks that might suit your needs, you might check them out. Some of the Crumpler bags don't look like camera bags, but I haven't looked at them lately to see what they have available.

6. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
  7. Jaf-Photo

Jaf-Photo TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 25, 2013
    I just ordered some Crumpler bags and they have excellent quality and some cool. But they can't accommodate the tripod. I think that's the problem.

8. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Thanks for the answers! I really don't know anything about backpacks ...

;)

Kata has some interesting concepts, but I think their bags look downright ugly ...

As for crumpler - that's a good tip! I like the size of the Jackpack Half Photo Backpack (Jackpack Half Photo Backpack - Crumpler) - but I don't know if I like the color combinations they offer yet.

A nice camera bag for sure, but it's a full photo backpack and I don't like its looks. A full photo backpack simply isn't worth it with a mirrorless system - you never gonna get it full unless you take some lenses and bodies with you that you don't actually need.

Yep, whoever gives you 30 years of warranty obviously thinks their products will last some years. But I NEED a tripod for landscape work (especially at night), and it seems that not even a 32 cm tripod can fit inside any of these bags ... I'll ask crumpler about the exact space inside some of their backpacks, maybe one of them is big enough (32cm is not that big, is it?).

9. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Hey, I just found out the Crumpler Half Photo Jackpack is 45 cm high, which might mean that the upper compartment could fit a tripod. And if it doesn't, there's the thing Crumpler calls the "trapdoor", which allows me to unzip the divider between the two compartments (hopefully only partially is possible too), which would guarantee that my tripod fits in there.

Qhestion now is: Which color to choose? :)

Jackpack Half Photo Backpack - Crumpler

10. Jaf-Photo

Jaf-Photo TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 25, 2013
  11. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Yep, the color combination with the orange looks quite good, and it is really discrete. I like the black too, but I already have a black backpack (not a camera backpack, but still - diversity is a good thing ;)) and the inner color doesn't fit as good IMHO.

The one you linked looks quite funny. :)

Thanks to all of you! I'm sure I'd have never found this backpack without you, great to be here.

12. Hawon

Hawon TalkEmount Regular

Feb 5, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Hawon
    I always liked timbuk2 products. I have several of their messenger bags and getting a snoop insert transformed a normal bag to a camera bag.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD