1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Hi-Res A Comparison

Discussion in 'Hi-Res' started by slothead, Aug 6, 2015.

1. slothead

slothead TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    A quick comparison of two raw, limited-post-processed images that I made this afternoon. These were both taken with my Sony a7R, the Voigt with an inexpensive adapter, and the Zeiss-Sonnar as a native E-mount. The were both taken at f/2.0. The Voigt was manually focused using the peaking function, and the Zeiss-Sonnar employed its auto-focus capability.

Voigtlander 58mm f/1.4
    [​IMG]

Zeiss-Sonnar 55mm f/1.8
    [​IMG]

Feel free to offer comment. I feel that the Voigtlander is the superior lens, especially considering that it was manually focused.

--- edit ---

I just tried to delete this post because I found a flaw, but I don't seem to see a way of deleting it. The flaw is a significant difference in exposure details. It essentially invalidates the comparison. So I am going to redo the comparison and will post a better set of comparison images from these two lenses.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
  2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    Something doesn't seem right with your Sonnar. DOF seems to be very asymmetric.

3. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    Amin, are you saying that the DoF is different on the right side of the image as compared to the left side of the image, or asymmetric in some other perspective?

4. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    It seems like the part in focus on the left side is closer to you than the part in focus on the right side. If you turn on focus peaking and look at the camera while you focus, does it look like this? If so, your lens is not right.

dof.

5. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    I'll check that Amin (I can't right now because it is a little too dark to be an effective test).
    Thanks. (I didn't know I could turn on peaking with auto-focus lenses - but didn't consider setting it in manual focus.)

6. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    Amin, I don't see any indication of the 'misalignment' that you are suggesting of the focal plane across the image made by the Sonnar. I tried with higher and lower peaking settings and it yielded the same random peaking highlights across the place of focus. I also took some more images that I will upload for my next post. There are some very significant differences between the IQ between the lenses (and not like I had suggested earlier).

That being said, and after posting the images in the below (next post), I thing I can see that object on one side of the (Sonnar) images are not in the same focus plane as the other side. The best examples are the little 'Fairy Garden' (one of my wife's playthings) on the right, and objects on the left in the same plane.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
  7. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    Here are four images:
    two using the Voigtlander 58mm f/1.4 at f/2 and f/4, with corresponding 1/1600 sec and 1/400 sec, both at ISO400, and
    two using the Sony Sonnar 55mm f/1.8 at f/2 and f/4, with corresponding 1/1250 sec and 1/400 sec, again at ISO400
    (I have no idea why the shutter speed was not identical for the f/2 conditions in both lenses - I have a feeling that one of them is not metered correctly.)

I am also no longer so proud of my manual focusing using the Voigtlander.

Raw_Voigt_f2_1600_400-1a
    [​IMG]
    Raw_Voigt_f4_400_400-1a
    [​IMG]
    Raw_Sonnar_f2_1250_400-1a
    [​IMG]
    Raw_Sonnar_f4_400_400-1a
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015