1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

A camera bag for multiple lenses

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by NickCyprus, Jun 5, 2013.

1. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    My collection of lenses is getting quite big...
    I currently have a Think Tank Retrospective 5 as my all-day bag which I love that I can carry 4 lenses with me (MD 50 1.4, SEL16 2.8, MD 35-135 and MD 135 3.5)
    And a Minolta Gadget (shoulder bag) where I store another 6 lenses (lenses that I don't use too often)

I may have a couple more lenses coming in soon so I need to find another solution

Ideally I would like a duhumidify dry cabinet box (I know Colin has one :) ) to store all my lenses but even the ones from China they are pretty expensive
    48L Digital Control dehumidify dry cabinet box for Lens Camera equipment storage | eBay

So my other option would be a big rolling/carry bag
    I'm looking for something like the Think Tank Airport series Airport Series BUT on the cheap side of things - any recommendations?

Also, I have some silica gel packs - is it wise to just throw these inside my bag(s) to protect my lenses from humidity/fungus?

Cheers
    -Nick

2. Jaf-Photo

Jaf-Photo TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 25, 2013
    I don't know how many lenses you want to store or carry. My solution is to keep them in a cabinet and only bring out the ones I'm going to use.

When I go out shooting, I typically only bring 2-3 lenses. When I bring more I rarely use them all.

For travelling you may need to bring a larger selection of lenses, for different days. For that I have a Crumpler backpack with quite a few adjustible dividers with velcro. That way I can bring a couple of cameras and maybe up to nine lenses.

I may sound like a broken record but Crumpler is my go-to brand for camera gear. They have a huge line that is very intelligently engineered. And what other companies offer a 30-year warranty on bags?

Most photographers I know of keep silica bags in their camera bags - but I remember Cyprus as quite dry?

3. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I carry 3-4 lenses with me for which I don't have an issue with my Think Tank Retrospective 5

I want a bag to store maybe 10 lenses (but not carry with me all the time) - so just for storage
    I'll take a look at the Crumbler line ;)

Yup, Cyprus is quite a dry place - I'll just throw the silica packs inside the bags. How often do they need replacing/renewing?

4. Jaf-Photo

Mar 25, 2013
    There are some really large Crumplers that could fit the description. I find eBay the best place to look. There you can buy items from discontinued lines on the cheap. But the quality is the same of course.

How quickly the silica bags get saturated depends on the humidity, I'd say. If it's really humid, I'd say a week. If not we're probably talking months. This is based on my use of silica based dehumidifiers in wet rooms etc.

5. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    Why a bag Nick? What about a nice cabinet? It doesn't have to be a dry box if you don't need it. It's kind of nice to see all your lenses as you are choosing for the day.

6. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I just looked at the Crumpler bags and I think the only one that would suit my needs is the Gourmet Extravaganza
    Gourmet Extravaganza
    Though I'm dissapointed that their site doesn't offer alternatives views of the bag (mainly inside shots) :(

Still pricey though...

Colin: the non-dry cabinet sounds like a good idea - probably easier (and cheaper) to have one fabricated here localy. Hmm...

7. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill
    I've go two Domke bags -- one small the other a bit larger. (Usually the small one is just fine. Thank God the E-Mount lenses are reasonably sized.) When the bags are at home I throw in a couple of silica gel containers.

8. Jaf-Photo

Mar 25, 2013
    Well, if you get something from Crumpler's discontinued lines, it will be much cheaper. There are some very spacious backpacks for instance that will easily take ten lenses. It will also double as a travel bag for you equipment, taking cameras, lenses, a laptop, all sorts of peripherals. If you are going to keep it in the closet, it doesn't matter that it is a backpack, I guess?

The following is just one example, Whickey & Cox. There are several others in different styles.
    Crumpler Whickey and Cox Camera Bag Review
    Crumpler Whickey and Cox Camera Laptop Backpack | eBay

9. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013