A bit of help with my two adapted lenses

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by alaios, Mar 21, 2013.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Dear all
    I have bought from ebay the

1. MINOLTA MD ROKKOR 50mm LENS

this lens does not have a front cap to protect it during transfer and a UV filter. Which size should I buy?. The adapter I have is this one
    Adapter für Minolta MD Lens to Sony NEX-3 NEX-5 Mount | eBay Which I find a bit bulky are there more thin alternatives?

2. Revue für Pentax 135mm 1:2,8

this lens has a retractable front part which I guess is to protect against reflections. Also I would like to install a uv filter if possible. Which size should be?

3. Should I have the UV filter for indoor shooting?

Have a nice day
    Alex

2. Michael Johansson

Michael Johansson TalkEmount Regular

Dec 15, 2012
    Ystad, Sweden
    Michael Johansson
    The size of filter and lensshade are usually printed on the front lens ring. For the Minolta 50 it is most likely 55mm but can also be 49mm. It depends on model and date of manufacture.

The adapter can´t be any smaller as the distanse from the camera lensflange and the lens rear flang has to be 25,72mm to make the lens focus to infinity.

3. Bugleone

Bugleone TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 21, 2011
    UV filters were origninally intended for removing ultra violet rays when taking photographs in UV rich environments, namely in mountainous regions above 6000 ft. As such they are a proiduct of the 1950's to 60's when precision cameras were more obtainable by ordinary people along with winter skiing holidays and colour film (which shows UV radiation accutely)

Later, there was a wide 'fad' for fitting UV filters to expensive lenses to protect the front element from 'damage'. It was mainly a pointless excercise and overlooked certain problems or the filters themselves and ignored the fact that lens makers themselves did not see fit to send out UV filters with their expensive lenses (some very special industrial lenses did come with UV covers as standard)

Having said all of the above;.....UV filters can 'sometimes' be useful in harsh situations such as when working around industrial machines that cause an oil haze,...or when photographing small children,....kids are often fascinated by the front element of the lens and eventually reach out and touch it, usually with the same fingers that just held ice cream! Dogs also are likely to suddenly lick the lens if you allow them too close. For these uses a UV filter allows you to detach teh dirty filter and carry on shooting, this time rememering those sticky fingers!

The built in lens hood on the pentax 135 is essentially useless for an APS-C camera where it has equivalent focal length to 200mm...ie medium to long telephoto. Efficient lenshoods 'can' make a difference to your shots but it's easier and better to make up your own like this;

What NEX - View topic - Making your own lens hoods

4. Grisu_HDH

Grisu_HDH TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    Hi and welcome aboard.

1. 55mm or 49mm is the correct size for Minolta MD lenses, depending on their age. Always use solid lens caps, not the cheapest one, the often brake or get lost.
    The adapter you use for every manufacturer is used to have a physical link between the used camera and the adapted lens. But more important is simulates the distance between the sensor (which was the 35mm film in the original camera) and the back of the lens. The distance has to be exactly the same or focus won't work correctly. So the original Minolta body was the same size a sa modern DSLR that's why the lens has to be more a way form the sensor than the e-mount NEX lenses.

2. Size of the filters are always printed on front of the lens normally as Michael explained before.

3. The pro and con of UV or Skylight filters are like a holy war...
    I would recommend the same as Bugleone: Only use them very protection if really really needed, otherwise leave them away.

5. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Many lenses show the filter size of the lens like this: Ø55mm. So look at your lens to see if that symbol printed on the front.

And count me among those who never use any sort of UV or Skylight filter for "protection." Unless I'm using a polarizing or neutral density filter that serves a specific optical purpose, my lenses go al fresco. :)

6. dshin525

dshin525 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 4, 2013
    I have many minolta rokkor legacy lenses. The thread size will be 55mm or 49mm, as the others have said.
    As for the adapter, I have one from rainbow imaging. They are $20 on amazon/ebay and have gotten good reviews. Built solid...and has a tri-pod mount on the adapter, which I find useful as it provides better balance, especially when I use bigger lenses.