A 5n goes to the zoo

Discussion in 'Nature' started by ChangshaNotes, Oct 5, 2012.

1. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
  2. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    All the photos are great! Was there any post processing done? Did you shoot raw or jpeg? I really may need to invest in that lens. That is the 55/210 correct?

Sent from my iPhone using my fingers
  3. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    I usually shoot in raw but I took some of these in jpeg because I was using continuous shooting and raw binds up the buffer. I was having trouble focusing on the animals as they moved about and I was getting jostled all the time with the huge crowds. (It's national day holiday in China for the week). So I was trying to spot focus ahead of their movement and fire off a bunch of shots. Lots of bad shots but a few were alright.

All of these were with the 55/210 except the last one of the iguana which was with the 50/1.8. I figured in the dark reptile enclosure, that would be better.

It was a hazy afternoon, raining lightly on and off and I was too heavy handed with the shutter speed so I ended up with high iso and some noise. This was the first time I was really using continuous shooting in a non-practice way. I'm usually more deliberate with the number of photos I take, trying to compose them, so I'm still making a lot of noob mistakes but it's great fun. It's been decades since I thought of going to a zoo as fun.

I used the Nik Dfine 2 plug-in in Aperture to reduce the noise and played with the brightness and contrast a little and some minor cropping. Someone had thrown a Pepsi can at the lion and it was directly in front of him so I cloned it out in Aperture.

I don't know how to use Photoshop and I've always felt a little intimidated by it with regards to the learning curve but Aperture and Nik software are pretty straight forward.

I do like that 55/210 very much but the 50/1.8 is my favourite. My next lens purchase will probably be the new 35/1.8 unless I decide to really save my rice money and get that Zeiss 24. I'm not sure if I'm ready to go on that big of a diet though.

Here's a couple more, first with the 55/210, and second with the 50/1.8

4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Been a while since I have been to the zoo.

You have some nice shots there.
  5. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico

this one was a really good catch, beautiful
    : O
  6. storyteller

storyteller TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2011
    Great shots. And good selections. You may have made some noob mistakes but you clearly know enough to not parade them in front of us.