90mm macro help please

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by adwb, Sep 20, 2016.

1. adwb

adwb TalkEmount Regular

Sep 30, 2015
    Bristol UK
    Alistair
    I have recently bought a 90 macro but seem to have a huge problem getting it to auto focus fast enough to keep up with moving flowers or insects,

I end up manually focusing and using very high iso to get high shutter speeds to freeze things, which is not what I though would happen, I could do just as well with my old Pentax macro lens than with this lens.

There is nothing wrong with the lens its just me any hints or tips any one please?

2. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    Well macro lenses generally aren't well know for fast auto focus but I don't personally have experience with the fe 90. A couple of questions: what body are you using the lens on and did you use the focus limiter switch?

3. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    I use AF maybe 1/3 of the time when my subject has enough contrast to give the AF system something to lock on to.

I dunno - IME AF takes a bit of practice to use effectively. I haven't really explored the deep, dark realm of continuous AF and subject tracking. I do know that sizing the AF area box can have an impact (sometimes a bigger box seems to help in challenging conditions) and it's good to position it as close as possible to where you want it in the composition.

I certainly wouldn't give up just yet. IME the Sony 90mm handles exceptionally well even in manual and I can't think of another lens in any other system I'd rather be using for my product shots.