9 Days Shooting RAW Panoramas In The Eastern Sierra

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Jefenator, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Lake Tahoe by Jeff Addicott, on Flickr

First Glimpse of Sierra Nevada by Jeff Addicott, on Flickr

I invested in this panning clamp for doing panoramic shots:
    It was a huge help for getting nice, straight horizons and getting the frames to line up smoothly.

Bodie Stamp Mill by Jeff Addicott, on Flickr

Sierra Nevada Panorama by Jeff Addicott, on Flickr

I shot some panoramas like the one above, handheld. As nifty as that panning clamp is to have, in a pinch I could use the NEX-7's built-in level (on both axes) and the frames seemed to line up pretty well.

I don't use the camera's panorama mode anymore. I like shooting RAW in Manual and doing the stitching in Photoshop. I have yet to spot a single stitching "glitch" like I used to get in-camera. (You do have to watch out for vignetting, though - helps to stop down and check the vignetting correction option in Photoshop.)

Check these out at full resolution on Flickr if you dare!

Devil's Postpile by Jeff Addicott, on Flickr

This was two frames stitched together vertically.

Pine Creek Trail by Jeff Addicott, on Flickr

I was lucky enough to catch the aspens turning.

Turning Aspen Study by Jeff Addicott, on Flickr

Mt Tom and Wheeler Ridge by Jeff Addicott, on Flickr

Mt. Tom and Wheeler Ridge, outside of Bishop, CA. Bishop is kind of the center of it all but it's pretty hard to go wrong, anywhere between Lone Pine and Bridgeport on Highway 395.

(If you're in Bishop, you should take just a quick break from the great outdoors and poke your head in at Mountain Light gallery - Galen & Barbara Rowell's old home base. Many dozens of absolutely jaw-dropping photos on display. It certainly humbled me...)

Bristlecone by Jeff Addicott, on Flickr

Not technically the Sierra Nevada range, but I can't recommend the Bristlecone Pine Forest (in the adjacent White Mountains) highly enough.

If the ancient trees don't win you over, perhaps the views back across the valley will:

Sierra Nevada Range Panorama by Jeff Addicott, on Flickr

Another nice thing about doing panoramas manually is, you can go as wide as you please. 180º, 360º, go around twice if you want to! ;)

Onion Valley Aspens by Jeff Addicott, on Flickr

More turning aspens. If you're going to hike much, learn from my mistake. Have maps. (And be in shape!)

Mt Whitney by Jeff Addicott, on Flickr

Alabama Hills by Jeff Addicott, on Flickr

If you're at all into old Western movies, Lone Pine is a real playground. You can poke through the Alabama Hills and find the exact location of your favorite scenes. Be sure to visit the film museum as well.

Sunrise in BIshop by Jeff Addicott, on Flickr

My last morning in Bishop. I got to know the area a bit better but I've still got a lot of location scouting (and cloud stalking) to do.

Hills Above Bishop by Jeff Addicott, on Flickr

Well, that's about it. Thanks for tagging along! :)
    • Like Like x 9
  2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Awesome shots, looks like you had a really good time.
  3. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    What a fantastic set of photos!!!
    Most of the panos' are great and from the non-panoramas my favs are "Lake Tahoe", "Turning Aspen Study", "Mt Whitney" :thumbup:

Nice work ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  4. claude

claude TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 13, 2013
    Ottawa Canada
    Great set! You got to love it when you're in a beautiful place with a good camera and some time to play with it all.
  5. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Great pics, Jeff.

6. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    Wow! You captured some fantastic scenery there, Jeff. And your patience in setting up the panoramas really paid off! I love that part of the country, and can't wait to get back there. But I've never been lucky enough to be there when the aspens turn. Well done!

(BTW, my avatar photo was taken in the Alabama Hills, with Whitney peeking through the arch.)
    • Like Like x 1
  7. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Wow, that's a lot of beautiful shots.
  8. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Thanks, all!

You'd be surprised how quickly the panoramas go. I do the leveling with my tripod head (my Manfrotto 410 geared head is a pleasure to work with for that - the bullseye level is even accurate). Then I focus, expose and take my sweep. Composition is not so critical because I know I'm going to be trimming a lot away in post. Choosing the right lens is a big deal, and of course you have to decide how much of a sweep you want to do.

Dave, I missed out on that arch action! (A dust storm caused me to leave Lone Pine earlier than planned, but I'll definitely be back!) Apparently there are many arches in those hills...
  9. toddlange1

toddlange1 TalkEmount Regular

Dec 22, 2012
    Eagan, MN, USA
    Wow, really nice shots! I was just up in Onion Valley this summer doing some hiking and photography.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Selten

Selten TalkEmount Regular

Oct 22, 2012
    Rhineland, Germany
    makes me wish I could go there! Great photos :)