85 to 100mm

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by alaios, Jul 11, 2013.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Dear all,
    I have already two prime lenses at 50mm and 135 and was thinking to have one more between 85 to 100 for outdoor shooting.

Do you have any affordable recommendation for adapted lenses that I can try to bid to?

I would like to thank you in advance for your help

Regards
    Alexandros Palaios

2. Mattithjah

Mattithjah TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 17, 2013
    Czech Republic
    Matěj
  3. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Thanks for the suggestion. Just to share that I do know what it means to have 15 aperture blades.. and if I got it right I have to use two adapters for my nex. Right?

4. Mattithjah

Jan 17, 2013
    Czech Republic
    Matěj
    If you will buy M42 version, you needn´t use two adapters... You just set your "tilt" adapter to "zero" position and adapter plays as "normal" adapter. I use my tilt adapter also as a "normal" adapter for my Nikkors and it works very good! Tilt adapter isn´t bigger or much hevier than normal adapter, only little more expensive... But it worth the price very well!

5. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    What's affordable ? Most 85 mm legacy lenses are around $160 or up on fleabay.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

6. -et-

-et- TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 26, 2013
    Southern California
    Tom
    That's definitely a problem with the 85mm lenses. The 100mm lenses are somewhat cheaper - they can be obtained for $100 and up, if my memory is correct.

Another poster recommended the Jupiter 9 (Russian) lenses. These can potentially be quite satisfactory (I have 3 of them in different mounts), but the quality control on Russian lenses was very shaky. You may get a copy that performs very well, or a copy that performs very poorly.

If price is a big concern and you are willing to take the gamble, the Jupiter 9 is definitely an option. (BTW, the best-looking Jupiter 9 that I have is also the worst performer of the three versions that I have, so cosmetic appearance is no guarantee of the results you will get.)

- Tom -

7. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Or just get a decent teleconverter, they are cheap. I used my Kiron 2x TC with Minolta 50/1.7 and it wasn't bad.

Although, I don't think there's enough difference between 85 / 100mm and 135 mm.

8. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    That sounds like a proposal. I have already a Minolta 50/1.7 so I guess can use a teleconverter to go to 100? Right? In that case which is the "decent" teleconverter? How much I loose in aperture?

Regards
    Alex

9. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    1.4x converter 1 stop loss
    2x converter 2 stop loss

So it becomes like 70mm f/2.5 lens with 1.4x converter and 100mm f/3.5 lens with 2x teleconverter.

10. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    I have a Kiron MC7 2x TC. It seems to be very good optically.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

11. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    thanks for the answer could you please help me in ebay.co.uk spot the right part you are talking about? Sound fun and I might give it a try. Do you also have some shots to share?

12. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    One more question is that the 70mm lens has to be multiplied with 1.5 crop factor, which means that is not only 1.4x more but
    1.4x + 0.5 more coming from the crop factor. Right?

13. Mattithjah

Jan 17, 2013
    Czech Republic
    Matěj
    Example:
    50/1,7 + TC 1,5 + NEX camera = 50*1,5*1,5 = angle of view same as the lens with focal lenght about 112,5 mm (telephoto).

14. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi,
    is that the right one?
    M42 Screw Mount 2x Teleconverter by Vivitar, incl Case & Caps | eBay