1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

85 /90 mm fe or adapted?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by adwb, Jun 24, 2016.

1. adwb

adwb TalkEmount Regular

Sep 30, 2015
    Bristol UK
    Alistair
    It seems to me that in order to get a fast(ish) 85/90 lens that I have a choice between the batis 85, sony 85 or sony 90 macro all at premium prices, with no used available that I can ever see.
    or
    the other choice is I look to a third party lens with an adapter, that seems to me to indicate a used canon lens with a metabones adapter or a used Alpha lens with a sony adapter?

thinking about the costs , but lets leave out the very expensive zeiss manual lenses, what is a better bet, the sony lae3/4 and an A mount lens or a cannon/metabones combination from a focus and general IQ plus usability point?
    to be used with a a7r2
    Any suggestions gratefully received

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
  2. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    I use the canon ef 85 1.8 with sigma mc 11 adapter. It's nice.

Sent from my iPhone using TalkEmount mobile app

3. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Just to muddy the waters: Contax G 90 f/2.8 with the Techart adapter. :thumbup:

4. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    There may be a reason those lenses don't have any 'used' available ;)

I use the macro 90/2.8 G as a 90-150ish (cropping) on my A7. I bet it is fully usable with even more cropping on an A7rII as a full 70-200 replacement

So it is the biggest lens I own, but on the other hand, I don't consider it large for what it gives me.

5. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    On a budget, the Minolta MD 85/2 is relatively compact and performs quite nicely. (Not Batis or G-Master nice but I much prefer it on the A7 over the FE55 on a crop sensor.)
    I haven't directly A/B'd it against the Sony 90mm macro yet for field/landscape use. (The Sony is that much bigger, it would disrupt my traveling setup where the old Minolta does not.)

6. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    If manual focus lenses are consider (MD 85mm), then I'd also throw the Rokinon/Samyang 85mm f/1.4 ;)

7. Deadbear77

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    ImageUploadedByTalkEmount1466793305.802705.

85 1.8 canon ef

• Like Like x 5
  8. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    • Like Like x 5
  9. greywater

greywater TalkEmount Regular

Sep 28, 2014
    Don't turn up your nose at a Samyang 85 1.4.

10. adwb

adwb TalkEmount Regular

Sep 30, 2015
    Bristol UK
    Alistair
    The reviews on the Samyang 85 all indicate low centre iq wide open and till about f4, the Mitakon 1.4 which is new but not well known, and hard to get ,is getting some very good reviews but they are not auto focus which was was what I was wondering about.
    With the easy availability of s/h canon and A Series lenses it seemed a cheaper alternative to a good high iq wide open auto focus lens (via adapters ) and I was hoping that a few of us might have gone down this route.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. adwb

adwb TalkEmount Regular

Sep 30, 2015
    Bristol UK
    Alistair
    Deadbear77 I was not aware of that Sigma adapter and after a quick search it looks very interesting. It means the opportunity to rent a wide range of lenses opens up rather than buy.
    Please can you answer a couple of questions?
    Although it seems to have been produced with the object of mounting sigma lenses with a canon mount to Sony bodies I see from your post you have a canon attached,. I cannot see why that would make any difference but do you get all the focus modes with the canon lens attached, continuous, tracking follow, eye and so on?
    Also one test talked about heavy corner distortion being caused wide open have you found that?

oh just watched a vid with canon fitted seems we loose several focus function inc eye af , ow well back to the drawing board, or serious saving for a new lens.
    regards
    Alistair

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
  12. Deadbear77

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    You don't get eye auto, you get phase detection. Eye auto works with sigma brand lenses.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. storyteller

storyteller TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2011
    Honestly as much as I loved my Contax 90mm I don't regret getting the Batis despite the hefty price. The speed, build quality, and IQ are outstanding. May be confirmation bias but no regrets.

Sent from my iPad using TalkEmount mobile app

14. metalmania

metalmania TalkEmount Regular

Dec 3, 2014
    USA
    for me, I use Canon 100/2.0 and Sigma 85/1.4. Both are great lenses on A7Rii. Sigma 85/1.4 samples below.

0bGkfi8.

td9Cp5s.

If going a little bit longer, I will definitely go with 135L.

vwSe6K5.

• Like Like x 2
  15. pbizarro

pbizarro TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 24, 2014
    Portugal
    If I were spending the cash on the A7RII, I would save to be able to get a very good lens for it:)

So what is your budget for a portrait lens?

16. adwb

adwb TalkEmount Regular

Sep 30, 2015
    Bristol UK
    Alistair
    I have decided that I will get the 90 macro, the slight loss of speed is compensated in low light by the A7R2 iso capability, and I think the 1.8 dof vs 2.8 dof will not be a great concern to me and
    the bokeh beauty, and shape thereof is also not a overriding concern. Its the separation and edge contrastof the subject I like and I think the macro lens will give that, plus the ability do the odd close up or macro image.

portrait images at f2.8 seem a bit thin on the ground but I have seen seem fine to me.
    A big thank you to you all for your input to this thread.

• Like Like x 3
  17. bargainguy

bargainguy TalkEmount Regular

Jun 29, 2016
    See my thread on the Nikkor 105/2.8 D Micro. Fabulous lens on my a7ii.

18. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    I don't think you will be disappointed! I love my 90 for its macro/portrait double function.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Austrokiwi

Austrokiwi TalkEmount Regular

Feb 2, 2014
    22nd District Vienna
    Ian Fenn
    I love my FE 90 mm as well but there is one lens I wish I knew about before I purchased it. That lens is the Olympus Zuiko OM 90mm F2. It has very good reviews.