8-element "Killer" vs 7-element 50mm f1.4 Super Takumar on A7II

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will
I took out these two vintage lenses out for an old fashion showdown
That was a wonderful job! The ending of the chance encounter was priceless. Thanks for sharing that with the rest of us.

Onto the 8-element. I've heard much about it but haven't seen side by side comparisons until now. The rare 8 element Takumar f/1.4 has gained legendary status and have become too costly to personally acquire. It should be noted, that its rep has also created a counterfeit problem by sellers attempting to capitalize on its status.

The 8-element does have a more appealing rendering than the 7-element radioactive version. The pop, and bokeh looks nicer to me. I have the 7-element Super and Super Multi-coated versions. Although they are masterpieces of craftsmanship, I didn't find them to render as nicely as a few other f/1.4 competitors. More on that later.
I did see a slight yellow shift to the 7-element compared to the cooler 8-element. I suspect that the Thorium doped rear element may be affecting the imaging as most of these suffer from some form of glass yellowing. A non-yellowed Super Takumar yields very vibrant colors.

One thing I wasn't aware of was the 8-element suffers from sensor reflection. Very informative. My favorite f/1.4 which bests the Takumar and many other manual fifity primes, is the Tomioka-made 55mm f/1.4. It shares many of the characteristics seen from the 8-element. It is also radioactive, but samples don't appear to suffer from yellowing as often. It has remarkable sharpness, contrast and color fidelity wide open. And its bokeh is 'special'. Coincidentally, it also suffers from sensor reflection unfortunately. It varies in intensity depending on model run and slight changes to the rear element. Some flat, some concave and some slightly convex.
If you like the 8-element, I think you'll enjoy the Tomioka 55-f/1.4. I highly recommend it.

bdbits

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Bob
You clearly put a lot of work into this, silver-surfer. The story at the end was the icing on the cake - that was an awesome thing you did for that guy, he will never forget it.

I've never tried a Super Takumar. Looks nice. So many neat lenses out there, but only so much time (and money) to go around.

Thank you for sharing your video. :2thumbs:

bobbill

TalkEmount Regular
SS, Thanks, made my slow going mind up to get one. I have a Nikkor 50x1.4 and use it, but the lens on the camera is a 35x2NikkorOC...so,

desided to get one of these 8-element Tak and ended up with two...back to single. Due to weather no work on it so been (finally) looking closely at editors.

But the information was wonderful, for me, and will come back with some monochromes, I can get outside more.

Last edited:

bobbill

TalkEmount Regular
Super Tak 2.5(6) 135mm (1st three pics) and Super Tak 50mm 1.4(8) last three pics. As taken, but shrunk to 15-in x 72p/inch. JPGs. Am manual Nikkor F fan still enamored by these m42 lenses. Were taken yesterday 8.12, PM. Subjects are two Tiger Swallow Tails at the food trough in yard...could not get them together...guessing larger one had wingspan at 4-5 inches tip-to-tip. FWIW. Will have to try RAW process, next time...I keep fogetting to reset camera, get too excited. Still hoping for Monarchs to show, only two so far...mis-named pics as Monarchs and changed to "YST" (Yellow Swallow Tail). Next will use 1.4 Nikkor, I get lucky, and catch butterflies lunching, either family.

These lenses are tops, obviously. Lenses make up for my klutzy fumbles.

With the Capture One bamboozle I engaged GIMP...do not let the name fool you...it is a simple accronym thingy and it is very well done. I also have the Nik collection and have to figure that out and choose.

Be well and likeable.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
TalkEmount is a fan site and not associated with Sony Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2011-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom