1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

5T Autofocus replaced in A5000

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Benny23, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Benny23

Benny23 New to TalkEmount

Feb 6, 2014
    The Sony NEX 5t has what it calls AF, for fast hybrid autofocus. This feature seems not to be on the new A5000, has it been replaced with some other technology that gives the same speed to autofocus? As speed is the key purpose for my camera this is an important feature and it doesn't seem to be listed in the details of the A5000? Thanks

2. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Per my reply on your original thread, no the A5000 has no phase detect pixels, only contrast, so will have slower autofocus (particularly in dim lighting).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Yep, the A5000 is a NEX-3 successor, and the 3 series never had PDAF on-sensor. However, with the previous implementation of PDAF (before the A6000), the speed difference wasn't drastic anyway.

4. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    So, the real question is, does that mean we aren't likely to see a 5T successor? Or it will be a A5500?

I like the size of my 5R over the nex 6, and I bought a viewfinder for it to use in sunlight. Will be a shame if that's the end of the upgrade path.

5. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    I'd guess the APS-C E-Mount line will be streamlined to A5000 (No EVF, lower resolution, two dials, 'smart' accessory terminal), A6000 (lower resolution EVF, mode dial + two dials, hot shoe) and A7000 (high-res EVF, Tri-Navi, highest quality body). Not the worst thing considering how confusing the line-up has been for the past year or so.

As for the lower end model, I hope they'll update it to the newer features at some point, but I don't know, they might want to keep the price as low as possible and upsell customers who want these features to the relatively cheap A6000.