1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

5R - first impressions

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by New2Nex, Oct 12, 2012.

1. New2Nex

New2Nex TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 4, 2012
    It was complete torture last night as I waited for my new toy to charge!!! I will definitely need to buy an additional battery and separate charger.
    SonyNEX5R.

I finally got to load the wi-fi/mobile apps on the camera and test them out. They work GREAT! I was able to post directly to facebook or use wi-fi to send the photo to my phone. Both methods worked like a charm.

The main reason I bought this camera was because of its reviews on how it handles low light situation and it's AF. It's done very well compared to the Nikon 1 J1 I had right before this camera. That camera REFUSED to take low light photos and really irritated me, so I sold it and waited for the NEX 5R to be released. So far the only time the 5R would not focus was if I was too close to the subject. But, I don't take too many macro shots, so I don't mind.

Here are a couple shots of my dogs from this afternoon. Please excuse the eye goobers!!! :)
    178597_4783950524555_1441013181_o. 602299_4783985365426_977776249_n.

I am very happy with the quick responsiveness of the camera and the image quality thus far.

2. RT_Panther

RT_Panther TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 9, 2011
  3. New2Nex

Sep 4, 2012
    Then maybe my frustration was user error, but I could not point and shoot and make it take any low light photo. The camera simply would not shoot. For me, this 5R totally rocks and all I have to do is press a button to have it take a photo.

4. New2Nex

Sep 4, 2012
    BTW, AWESOME shot of the Alamo!!! I honestly could not get my J1 to work. I tried looking through the menus and reached out to experts on the Nikon forums, but I had no luck whatsoever. Prior to the J1, I only owned Canons, and I NEVER had a problem taking low light photos with ANY of them. My cameras would always fire and take a shot, even if it wouldn't be in focus. I'm sure my issues with the J1 were 100% user error/lack of knowledge.

5. New2Nex

Sep 4, 2012
    I know the photo below isn't a good photo by any means, but considering I was in a dark room with just the glow of the TV and no flash, I think the 5R did well. Heck, I couldn't even see the popcorn box let alone the colors, but they turned out! :) I imagine my photos will only get better once I learn more about the settings of the camera and have something worthwhile to photograph. I'll be in Maui in 33 days, so I have that much time to become an expert on this thing.

DSC00163.

6. asimkalkan

asimkalkan TalkEmount Regular

Sep 27, 2012
    What is your impression on apps? Which type of apps are there?

7. New2Nex

Sep 4, 2012
    There aren't very many apps right now. I'm just pleased that I can either post directly to facebook or upload to my phone with a wi-fi connection. There's also an app for shooting at high ISO that will take 6 or 7 shots and then compile them to make a clearer photo. I've tried that one, too, and it works well.

8. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    I'm intrigued by an app (apparently) where you can view the camera's screen from your cell phone and trigger the shutter from the phone. Might be a good app for you Oylo when you want to take stills from your RC helicopter rig?

9. applemint

applemint TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
    Sounds a bit like a more sophisticated version of the handheld twilight (think that's what it's called) mode on the Nex which from memory combines 3 shots (I think @ISO6400?) and processes them to remove noise and camera shake blurring. Works suprisingly well at night on static objects like buildings etc.

10. ErickSaint

ErickSaint TalkEmount Regular

Aug 27, 2012
    Milwaukee, WI
    Erick
    Does the built in wifi create it's own hotspot like an "Eye Fi" card does? I'm really curious to try the Eye Fi for off camera flash experiments and send results direct to my android tablet. If the 5r has this ability it's certainly something I'd like to look into. Then again cost of the 5n and the Eye Fi is still cheaper than a new 5r.

11. New2Nex

Sep 4, 2012
    I'm learning all sorts of things....I just had to google what an "eye-fi" card was. :) I'd have to say YES, the 5R essentially does this with whatever is built into it. The camera can either connect to the wi-fi in my house (or at any other hotspot) to allow me to post directly to facebook. The camera can also create a wi-fi connection that my phone connects to (or maybe it's vice versa - in any event, the two are connected) that allows me to transfer one or more photos. The photos from the camera are then placed in the "PlayMemories Mobile" folder on my phone. I had to download an app for my phone before I could use this feature.

Regarding using my phone as a viewfinder, I will have to play with this some more. I haven't gotten this to work yet, but I really haven't spent much time with it.

12. ErickSaint

ErickSaint TalkEmount Regular

Aug 27, 2012
    Milwaukee, WI
    Erick
    Thanks for the info. I'm leaning towards the 5n, purely to get in at that price point. Make sure I'm going to stick with it, been away from cameras since film. But the 5r sure is looking like a viable option. It's just the extra $270 that's pushing me towards the 5n. I hate having to make decisions.

13. ponyslaystation

ponyslaystation TalkEmount Regular

Oct 20, 2012
    It would be stupid to get a 5r at the moment. The 5n is extremely good for the price now and with the money you save you can get a good lens which is more important than a sidegrade body.

14. New2Nex

Sep 4, 2012
    Well then, call me stupid. To each their own.

15. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Hmm, yes, I had the exact same thought reading that comment, not a very nice (or smart) thing to say. People buy equipment based on their needs/wants/means. Calling anybody's buy "stupid" ain't very appropriate. You probably bought a 5R for good reasons. I don't share them and went with a 6 (otherwise would have stuck with the 5N and added an EVF). I hope this doesn't degenerate, the quiet atmosphere is lovely here.

16. teefin1

teefin1 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    I think the 5r offers some nice features over the 5n, it is after all the new version of it, but when I upgrade in future I'd quite like the 6 or 7, purely for the EVF. It is a subjective thing.