1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

5N worth $475?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by lenshoarder, Jun 26, 2012.

1. lenshoarder

lenshoarder TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 7, 2012
    After hesitating and missing out on a used 5N for $425 yesterday, I scoured the local stores and found one that's clearing it out for $475. It's it worthy at this price or should I hold out for it to go cheaper?

2. Phoenix

Phoenix TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    I would say yes it is, a gray import to Australia is worth $560 AUD ($563.24 USD) plus delivery body only, and the price goes up depending on the lenses you buy it with. $475 is a fantastic price (if they're selling it with a lens, I would seriously be asking if there's something wrong as it sounds really cheap).

Mind you though, I'm speaking while comparing it with Australian retail prices (some items tend to be more pricey in this part of the world)

3. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    5N body only is currently NZ$920 in New Zealand (USD$727) plus delivery.

USD$475 sounds like a mighty fine deal to us antipodeans!!

4. lenshoarder

Feb 7, 2012
    Yes, it does come with the lens. It's the standard retail kit. Nothing wrong with it. It's a balancing act. Wait longer and get a lower price or buy now to lock it in but run the risk of getting in too early and paying too much. The same thing happened 1.5 years ago when I got my NEX 3 on clearance. I jumped the gun and got one for $300. In the end, the last ones didn't sell until they hit $25.

5. Dioptrick

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    There's nothing we know of in the NEX horizon that would render the 5N obsolete just yet. That clearance may go lower but I doubt if it would go down to $25 bucks this year... but then again, it boils down to store policy. I wonder if their electronic clearance items have full warranty? The big question is... how many 5Ns do they have left in stock? Pull your trigger based on that.

6. Ray Vardy

Ray Vardy TalkEmount Regular

Buy it!

I paid £450 for my C3 just a month ago!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

7. Dioptrick

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    In saying that, the store could be making room for the new NEX-F3. From what I've read so far, the 5N is still better (or on par at least) but retailers are only concerned about what's the latest and the newest, due to marketing planned-obsolescence strategies. So yeah, perhaps 5N prices could come down further?

8. apotelyt

apotelyt TalkEmount Regular

Jul 8, 2012
    Isn't the Nex-F3 replacing the Nex-C3? Or is there a new Nex-5* coming out to replace the 5N?

9. Dioptrick

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Not entirely sure that Sony's main intentions in releasing newer models are to replace existing ones. I think the various releases have more to do with filling-in marketing gaps, features for specifically targeted user-groups, and budget price points.

Then there's technological advancements that are strategically released at the right time in relation to what their competitors are doing (or not doing).

Commercially speaking of course...

10. Phoenix

Phoenix TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    Based on the NEX’s history as product model, I believe it is just the general product development and release on Sony’s part.
    •Initial release was the NEX 3as the base model and the NEX 5 as the upmarket model.

•The NEX C3 was released to supersede the NEX 3. The C3 body had a new shape but majority of its integral functions were the same as the NEX 3. Production of the NEX 3 slows down and eventually ceases and any remaining products sold at heavily discounted prices. The NEX 5 remains the as the upmarket model.

•The NEX 5N was released to supersede the NEX 5. The 5N had the optional EVF accessory, a touch screen, slightly modified sensor and UI, Production of the NEX 5 slows down and eventually ceases with any remaining products sold at a heavily discounted prices. The NEX 7 was announced to be the line up’s professional model but release was severely delayed due to the floods in Thailand.

•The Sony F3 was released, It’s the first NEX to have a 180 degree flipping screen, and a modified UI that incorporates Sony’s auto frame correcting mode, it’s also the first model other than the NEX 7 to have a pop up flash (no more of that small accessory flash accessory). I’m not sure of the following; touch screen?, accessory port to be able to use the EVF accessory? Modified sensor?

Just by the NEX’s timeline, I really won’t be too surprised if the NEX F3 ends up superseding the NEX C3, after all “why get the C3 when you can get the F3?” which was what happened to the NEX3 and the NEX5.

11. lenshoarder

Feb 7, 2012
    The F3 is the C3's replacement. The C3 was discontinued last January. Just like the NEX-3 was discontinued the January before. It's no secret. Sony has set model release schedules.

12. JimR

JimR TalkEmount Regular

Mar 28, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Jim
    True! Just picked up an NEX-5 with the 16mm pancake lens for $332 US at the local big box electronics store. Granted it was an "open box" sale and the lens cap was missing.

13. Dioptrick

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Drat!!

(Haha, just kidding. Congrats on such a great deal... enjoy your camera! :) )

14. lenshoarder

Feb 7, 2012
    If you have a local Sony outlet store they sell refurbed NEX 5 with the 16mm pancake for $289. The NEX 3 with the 16mm is $249. Sony refurbs are as good as new.