1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

5n EVF

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by ponyslaystation, May 8, 2013.

1. ponyslaystation

ponyslaystation TalkEmount Regular

Oct 20, 2012
    For those who have it, is it worth it? I live in california where its sunny most of the time, makes stuff tough to see even when I have the full brightness on (why isn't there a toggle for it?).

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    I'll keep it simple- Yes!

3. Tabibito

Tabibito TalkEmount Regular

Apr 1, 2013
    Yes the optional EVF totally worth the cost.

4. Selten

Selten TalkEmount Regular

Oct 22, 2012
    Rhineland, Germany
    Lusi
    Wasn't asking this question, but have been convinced - it should arrive tomorrow!

5. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Ordered mine on a whim from Amazon - it showed a sligthly better price - only to find out they were out of stock... :(

6. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Hate it when that happens!

7. DTK

DTK New to TalkEmount

May 10, 2013
    I got one because a friend could get one cheap on hongkong for me, but I'm not 100% convinced its worth the price.

I loved that I could easily fit my 5R into the pocket of a zip hoody or any coat, even with a canon FD 50mm 1.4 + adaptor. While the EVF attaches securely, and is pretty easy/quick to take on and off, having to clip on the plastic connection protector and put it in the supplied pouch and THEN to stuff it into a pocket... well, it makes taking a quick picture a hassel (resulting in me not bothering with it). The thing is small, but it makes the ultimate dimentions of the camera considerably bigger.

I've only had it for a week or so, and haven't had a chance to take it on a trip here in china, but when I do, the neck strap should remove my current grievances.

On the other hand, its really amazing at night time, as I seem to be able to see far more detail in the viewfinder compared to the screen. This comes from a higher contrast, which is probably due to it being OLED based (even though its white OLED in front of a filter). The way they market it as having 2.4 million dots is miss leading as they are counting sub pixels (RGB) and not real pixels (1024x768)*3= 2359296. The XGA resolution (1024x768) sounds low, but its very hard to see individual pixels unless looking at the high contrast characters making up the HUD.

Sharp edges have a horrible aliased appearance to them when just looking through the viewfinder, although some kind AA is applied to remove this from the final picture when viewed in the gallery. I guess the Bionz processor isn't well suited for continuous real time AA on the live feed, either from introducing too much latency or majorly increased battery drain/heat. Speaking of which, both the camera and viewfinder will heat up simply by being on, which is something I haven't noticed without it. This takes its toll on the battery, but I haven't had it die on me yet.

One amazing thing which I haven't witnessed before: viewing images with the right amount of depth of field (I guess at an aperture similar to that of the eye with a matching magnification (some where between 45-55mm through the viewfinder)) gives a startling 3D effect, and is really something to behold with the colour accuracy and contrast this high. Though saying that, viewing many images through one eye isn't all that comfortable after a while.

One last note on the dioptre adjustment slider: its great for letting you open both eyes while shooting at a matched focal length, either by setting it to infinity for looking at far off things, or adjusting for close objects. I can't say its very useful, but certainly an interesting effect, especially experimenting with how the brain creates a single image from both inputs, even at far increased eye separation distance (when held in portrait).

Anyway, I have it now, and feel pretty undecided on whether its merits outweigh its drawbacks (without even factoring in the cost). I guess its already relegated to "expensive, marginally useful gadget" in my mind.

8. NikonD

NikonD New to TalkEmount

Mar 3, 2013
    Slovenia
    Roman
    I have it too and it's a great thing to have when it's sunny or very bright... and it's amazing :)

9. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I leave mine on Full brightness all the time.

I have a pop-up screen cover that eliminates 90 percent of the problem.

10. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    I don't usually stuff the camera in my pocket and if I do I'd take take EVF off.

My main, #1 reason for getting it is that I hope to be able to hold the camera much more steady when using manual lenses, with viewfinder braced against my face. Trying to not get motion shake when using Minolta 70-210 is a royal pain when I have to hold the camera in front of me. I assume any Tele lens, even a smaller one, would give me similar problems. I don't expect to completely eliminate the problem with EVF, but if I just triple my currently miserable keeper rate, it's worth it.

Second reason is that I hope to have better manual focus control. Peaking is great but it doesn't always work, and it's hard to see the tiny gleam in someone's eye when outside in bright sunlight, even with full brightness.

If there's no substantial improvement in these two areas when using EVF, it goes right back to the store.

11. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Hey DTK, if I didn't already- welcome to TalkNEX. :)

If you want to learn to quickly love the EVF try this- put on your widest lens. Find a spot between tall buildings (or trees- whatever) and shoot straight up. It's sooooo nice to be able to use the viewfinder adn not bend over backwards to get that shot.

Re: the diopter slider- it's really there for those of us with bad eyesight so it isn't totally useless, but you've found an interesting new use for it. ;)

12. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    I received mine 3 days ago, and I am loving it so far :)

It makes manual focusing much more accurate, now I can actual nail the focus with my Minolta MD 135mm f2.8, wide open, which just wasn't possible with the screen.

The other thing I like is that you can use the evf to review photos, and it's amazing for that. You can see so much detail, and the oled makes the photos look incredible.

Finally, if you have a 5N like I do, one day you will probably want whatever succeeds the 5R, and this evf will still be useful.

13. ponyslaystation

ponyslaystation TalkEmount Regular

Oct 20, 2012
    How is battery life impacted or do you not notice?

14. Selten

Oct 22, 2012
    Rhineland, Germany
    Lusi
    Funny you should say that, my experience has been the exact opposite. I have had the EVF since Saturday, and so I must be doing something wrong. Most of the pics I take using the EVF are blurred, I can't nail the focus where I want it - about 3 out of 15 are keepers. When I use the LCD I usually can keep 10 out of 15.

What I noticed so far - taking pics from weird angles is cool with the EFV, as is reviewing the photos. However, I find myself so using the screen more. The viewfinder is in the way often, and maybe it is because of me using glasses, but I just can't focus manually correctly with it - it looks good up until I actually look at the shot and see how out of whack it is. Whenever I use it without glasses, the tiny window gets smudged very fast, making it unusable.

I feel like I have gained a new toy gadget - it is fun and I like it, but it doesn't look like I will use it much.

15. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Have you adjusted the diopter slider to fit your vision?

16. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    I was thinking the same thing

17. Selten

Oct 22, 2012
    Rhineland, Germany
    Lusi
    Yup, I have played around with it, and what I see is clear - and when I focus it seems to be where I want it. Just the result is not,

18. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Well, if the LCD and the EVF show the same thing then the pics should be ok. If they don't both show the same thing and the diopter can't be adjusted to create a in-focus view then the EVF may be faulty.

I adjust mine by putting the camera in MF and focus on a object using magnification for critical focus. Then I view the object through the EVF and adjust the diopter until the object is clear in the EVF. DO NOT adjust the lens or camera position. This is done with the camera on a tripod. Once the diopter is set I put a small piece of cello tape over the slider so it doesn't move on its own.

I take off my glasses to use the EVF and don't have a problem smearing the glass. Although after 18 months it's due for a cleaning. ;)

19. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    looks like you need to adjust the diopter,the same happened with me and then a week or so later I adjusted the diopter and it was like walking into a well lit movie set,in 3D, absolutely fantastic

20. Selten

Oct 22, 2012
    Rhineland, Germany
    Lusi
    Hmm, on to giving it another try then. Hope tis time I'll get it right! Thanks a lot :)