5N as a travel camera... What to say

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by nianys, Sep 29, 2012.

1. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Vermont2012-06.

I love the NEX for its ability to use any older manual lens with ease, and the DOF control of its larger sensor.
    However, as a travel companion, it makes me question my plans of using a NEX 6 as my sole camera...
    I know it should be greatly improved in offering better flash options with both built-in unit and universal hotshoe, along with possibly better AF (I've stopped counting how many shots I missed with the 5N/18-55 combo...).

I don't want to sound as if I'm dissing the 5N, but as an all-rounder, it's not holding a candle to the global performance of a GX-1 with the very competent 14-45. We really can't have best of both worlds, can we ?...

2. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    For travel I would pack something compact with a versatile zoom. The GX1 and P14-45 would be a terrific option but then again there are a number of cameras that would be great travelers. I have a Panasonic ZS3 (10x collapsible stabilized zoom) that fits in a back pocket and white honestly the image quality is pretty darned good for what it is. I think if I were looking for a travel camera I might be inclined to go with something like a Fuji X10.

For me a camera (when I travel) is about capturing the moment and traveling light. I think there are a number of decent options for that.

3. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin TalkEmount Regular

Sep 26, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    Of all of the souveniers that I have brought back from travelling, photographs have been the ones that I value most by a long, long way. My criteria for the image quality of a travel camera is therefore as high as it would be for anything that I do, and other important features would be that it is fast, flexible, and tough. After those, compactness is a bonus. For example, up to two years ago my travel camera (and also my main camera) was a Canon 50D. Carrying a camera makes me curious, makes me engage, and encourages me to really look at where I am. As long as I am not having to fight with a camera I find that it is more of a help than a hindrance to my travel experience.

I feel that the 5N has some of the right qualities to make a good travel camera, although in my case there is another that I would choose before it.

4. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    Can you expound on what is missing or lacking in the 5n? One is UWA zoom, IMO, that will be rectified soon. Another is flash. I don't know what the solution there is. I would also personally like a nice, fast 28mm (I'm not a fan of 24mm and the 16 has high distortion). In fact, most of my issues are around flash and lenses. What are the issues (other than the flash hot shoe) on the body?

One thing I love about m43 -- a lot of small lenses can fit in my Domke 5xb with an EPM body. I have only two MF CV lenses right now for NEX, which will slow down travel snaps a bit.

5. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Agreed about photos being the most important souvenir...for me however, compact is the most important quality I look for in a camera to take traveling. Everyone has different things they look for. Of course I wouldn't take something that had terrible IQ but from my perspective it's tough to find a camera that is truly bad in the image department these days. I find that a big camera severely limits my options because I like to move quickly and explore and lugging around a larger body and lenses is not my idea of fun.

Last time I went traveling some of my favorite shots came off of my iPhone because I had it with me all the time. I was able to capture some of this wonderful moment s that happen when you least expect them.

6. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    The biggest missing link in the NEX as a P&S would be for me the leisurely AF. I've stopped counting how many shots I lost to the 5N+18-55 combo since the trip started. I very usually shoot from the car window, you can pretty much forget that with the NEX. UWA is going to be addressed, and for me 28mm equivalent zooms at the wide setting have always been wide enough, I'm more of a normal to tele person. The need to dig in menus to chance basic settings on the fly also impairs the camera's responsiveness.
    I'm learning work arounds right now. Ultimately I'll be documenting this trip properly. Just not as smoothly as I would have with the GX-1. The DOF and manual focus advantage that made me pick the NEX for my daily stuff is of little value for travel pictures. I hope the 6 really addresses those quirks if it wants to be credible as a sole camera. I think it will.

7. WT21

Aug 7, 2011
    Have you looked at the RX100 for travel? Deep DOF and quick AF. Also, very small and light.

8. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    The Nikon P7700 looks like it might be an excellent enthusiast point and shoot - 28-200mm f2-4 with dslr-like manual controls. No VF tho. Much cheaper than RX100, hope the reviews are good.

9. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I forgot about that camera...you have one correct? Based on how I shoot when I travel having a zoom that does WA to short telephotos would give me the most useful range. Something I like about my (now antiquated) ZS3 is 24mm at WA. I remember that I picked it up after seeing the Flickr set of a guy in Spain producing some gorgeous stuff with his (of course that was because he knows what he's doing as opposed to some magic juju from the camera). I think there are a number of pretty decent travel cameras.

10. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin TalkEmount Regular

Sep 26, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    The thing for me is that every image that I have printed large and hanging on my wall was taken overseas. When I'm potentially looking at printing on a 40" canvas I prefer to use a camera that is easily capable of doing that.

11. eno789

eno789 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    Brian
    I'll be on an oversea family trip pretty soon. This time I'm going to take 5 lenses with my 5N: three Nikon Series E (35mm/2.5, 50mm/1.8, and 100mm/2.8), a Sigma Mini-Wide-II 28mm/2.8 in Konica mount and a Konica Hexanon 57mm/1.4. All these fit in a very small bag. I don't expect much scenery, more family time and occasional portrait. The key to travel pictures, is to think through what kind of pictures I'll take before-hand. On a different trip, I might take entirely different gears. If leisurely AF is important, I might use my m4/3. With adapted lenses, one nice thing is I can interchange bodies to get the field of view and DoF.

12. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    My vote goes to this phrase for the "Best Quote" Competition of the Year!

13. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Since I started this thread with less than optimum impressions of the 5N as travel companion, I need to give credit where credit is due.
    The camera (which I've had for less than a month, so am not totally familiar and intuitive with) does deliver in terms of IQ. Here are a few shots that I found worthy :
    Vermont2012-02PM.
    Vermont2012-03.
    Vermont2012-10.
    Vermont2012-17.
    Vermont2012-18.

14. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Vermont2012-27.

And in one particular and interesting case, it's the very inability of the camera to focus adequately fast that resulted in what I find to be the essence of this shot's worth :

Vermont2012-28PM.

Because I'm the artsy type I might end up liking this shot over any other of this trip !

15. WT21

Aug 7, 2011
    Welcome to New England! It's a great place to enjoy the autumn! Amin lives up in this area, too, as do some others, at least on mu-43. Not sure about SC.

Didn't realize you were in Vermont.

16. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    It's actually our second trip to New England, we visited coastal Maine 2 years ago (went a bit more south last year, to VA). I think we're keeping a real soft spot for the Camden area, but Vermont is exceptionally gorgeous this time of year !

17. WT21

Aug 7, 2011
    If you have a kitchen where you are staying, find a place to go apple picking, then make some apple crisp after. Very New England!

18. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Speaking of Apples, the tree in my backyard is so full I need to get it picked before the next windstorm hits us or that poor tree is gonna get creamed. I'm in WA state (the OTHER place where there are pretty good apples).;) +1 on the Apple Crisp..we're gonna be doing Apple butter, apple sauce and some pies. I love Fall.

19. WT21

Aug 7, 2011
    Hot apple crisp with whipped cream (or ice cream), orange trees, pumpkins, frosty mornings or fires in the fireplace. Fall is wonderful. The light also changes, and becomes more amenable to taking pictures!

20. JimR

JimR TalkEmount Regular

Mar 28, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Jim
    I took my NEX-5 and NEX-C3 on my trip to Sedona, AZ and the Grand Canyon. I don't feel like I missed much over taking my Canon 7D and some L glass other than a sore back/neck and some imperceptible sharpness. Then again, I wasn't shooting for 20x30 wall prints either.