58mm f/1.2: Canon FL vs Minolta Rokkor

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Nate_Dogg, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Nate_Dogg

Nate_Dogg TalkEmount Regular

Feb 6, 2013
    Eugene, OR
    Nate Pfeifer
    With my constant desire to find unique legacy glass to shoot with, I'm looking at getting an ultra fast prime, and pretty much narrowed it down to the 58mm f/1.2, either the Canon FL or Minolta Rokkor. My understanding, based on much research, is that the Rokkor is legendary, especially for its bokah (which is what I'm mainly interested in, sharpness being a close second). The problem for me is the price of this beauty, between $500 and $600 for a good copy -- On the flip side, The Canon can be had for nearly half that price. My real questions is, does the Rokkor render images that much better, to justify the price tag?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!
  2. stratokaster

stratokaster TalkEmount Regular

Aug 27, 2011
    From what I've seen on Flickr, Canon FL58/1.2 has a very interesting bokeh.
  3. Mattithjah

Mattithjah TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 17, 2013
    Czech Republic
    I use FL 58/1,2 and am hapy with it... It is not as contrasty as modern lens, but sharpnes and bokeh are ok for me! I bought mine for about $200 in very good condition. One problem with FL 58/1,2 is, that it is not possible to modify him to EOS mount like FL 55/1,2. This is the reason of low price tag... But for me, as a nex user, it is not problem. And, in addition, I can use it on my Nikon camera although it wil not reach focus infinity... but who cares for portraiture?

Some examles: