1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

55-210 - a hidden gem

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by Amamba, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    I am absolutely smitten by the so much maligned 55-210.

I think in good light it's a better portrait lens than pretty much any other I have with exception of perhaps 50/1.8.

The sharpness straight out of camera is amazing. Definitely not what I've expected based on the reviews.

Not sure if it's actually the lens sharpness or a really well functioning AF / OSS but it's right on the spot and I'd say it appears sharper than 18-105 in good light. Or may be better stabilized or better microcontrast... I need to run them side by side on the same subject.

Now, many of the bad things they say about it are true - it's too slow for dim light and AF hunts a lot when there's not enough light. However in good light it just shines. Btw I updated mine to v.02 firmware and I think it made some difference.

One somewhat negative surprise was the quality of bokeh, more specifically the out of focus highlights. A bit busy and not what I'd expect from a tele lens based on my experience with Beercan, Canon 55-250 or Tamron 70-300. But it's not a big deal.

Overall, I am extremely pleased and surprised.

The photos below received only some basic post - WB adjustment and Portrait sharpen in LR.

DSC04372-1 by BugsDaddy, on Flickr

21204147296_70857ec7ef_k. DSC04407-1 by BugsDaddy, on Flickr

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Certain lenses are obviously for particular shots, some like the 55-210mm are simply made to be an everyday lens.

3. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Well, it seems to be far better than say 18-55. Which is not a bad lens but lacks a certain "pop".

4. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    Great portraits. Lens seems excellent too. I like the bokeh here - not too busy at all for my tastes.

• Like Like x 1
  5. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Great results. Looks sharp indeed!

6. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    I do like this lens too, it's really good on the A6000. I think every A6000 owner needs this, and the 35mm F1.8.

And if you look at the cost of that setup, compared to the FE equivalent, it's a huge difference.