55-210 - a hidden gem

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by Amamba, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    I am absolutely smitten by the so much maligned 55-210.

I think in good light it's a better portrait lens than pretty much any other I have with exception of perhaps 50/1.8.

The sharpness straight out of camera is amazing. Definitely not what I've expected based on the reviews.

Not sure if it's actually the lens sharpness or a really well functioning AF / OSS but it's right on the spot and I'd say it appears sharper than 18-105 in good light. Or may be better stabilized or better microcontrast... I need to run them side by side on the same subject.

Now, many of the bad things they say about it are true - it's too slow for dim light and AF hunts a lot when there's not enough light. However in good light it just shines. Btw I updated mine to v.02 firmware and I think it made some difference.

One somewhat negative surprise was the quality of bokeh, more specifically the out of focus highlights. A bit busy and not what I'd expect from a tele lens based on my experience with Beercan, Canon 55-250 or Tamron 70-300. But it's not a big deal.

Overall, I am extremely pleased and surprised.

The photos below received only some basic post - WB adjustment and Portrait sharpen in LR.

View attachment 63633 DSC04372-1 by BugsDaddy, on Flickr

View attachment 63635 DSC04407-1 by BugsDaddy, on Flickr

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Certain lenses are obviously for particular shots, some like the 55-210mm are simply made to be an everyday lens.

3. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Well, it seems to be far better than say 18-55. Which is not a bad lens but lacks a certain "pop".

4. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    Great portraits. Lens seems excellent too. I like the bokeh here - not too busy at all for my tastes.

• Like Like x 1
  5. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Great results. Looks sharp indeed!

6. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    I do like this lens too, it's really good on the A6000. I think every A6000 owner needs this, and the 35mm F1.8.

And if you look at the cost of that setup, compared to the FE equivalent, it's a huge difference.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.