• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

50mm or 75mm for Portraits

Xterra

TalkEmount Veteran
Any opinion whats best for portraits 50 or 75? Perhaps sometimes working distance is not ideal for 75?

A7shooter

TalkEmount Regular
85mm has been the industry standard for decades so i would think 75mm would be better for most purposes

Bill

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Bill
For a close head shot, particularly when you want to blur the background, then the longer lenses are often best. But...

A wider lens, even with its distortion (or perhaps because of it), can give you the look that viewers have close up -- in "real life." And, if you want some environment in the shot, then wider can be brilliant. Google "wide angle portraits," and go to images and video. You'll see a lot of good work.

I see you have an outstanding selection of lenses. Don't put a "portrait" label on just one or two of them.

(I see you're selling your Loxia 50mm. That's my favorite walking around lens of all time.)

Xterra

TalkEmount Veteran
Thanks Bill. Yes I have the 50mm Loxia, I do like it also but I want to try out the Voigtländer 1.1 and compare, thought for dusk work or "dark allies" it might perform better than the Loxia. I'll see and decide

Latest threads

Top Bottom