1. Welcome to TalkEmount.com—a friendly Sony E-mount camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

50mm f1.8 FE Tight Lens Mount

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by tjdean01, Feb 10, 2019.

1. tjdean01

tjdean01 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 14, 2015
    I got the 50/1.8 for the A7. I compared it to the Canon FDn 50mm f1.4 at f1.8 and the newer lens does produce better results.

However, a couple things. Does your FE 50/1.8 screw really tightly onto the A7ii lens mount? As it twists on it doesn't feel smooth either (it feels smooth when it twists off, however). Also, the autofocus really plastic-sounding and loud.

Are these two things normal? I'm already sending it back as to not damage my camera. Not sure if the next one will have the same issue. On Micro Four Thirds I think I bought 2 or 3 Panasonic 20mm f1.7 lenses and all were too tight. Finally I got one from another time period that fit better.

2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    They redesigned the lens mount starting with the Mark II cameras to make the lens mount more secure. Sounds like what you’re experiencing is perfectly normal to me, including the focus noise.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    There's a HUGE difference in how the lens mount feels between the 1st gen A7 and A7ii/iii

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.