50mm F1.4 vs 55mm F1.8

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by Landshark, Aug 26, 2016.

1. Landshark

Landshark TalkEmount Rookie

Jun 26, 2016
    SoCal
    Bob
    Just handled the two lenses, I do not really need the extra half stop and I am concerned that the 50 is almost three times the size, how do they compare optically.

This is not a focal length I would use a lot, so I am leaning towards the 55 but if the 50 is that much better, I will rethink.

2. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
  3. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    I think you have answered your own dilemma, "You don't really need the extra half stop" so why pay a huge premium for a much bigger lens that you don't need the extra speed of, then you say "This is not a focal length I would use a lot" so it seems to me you need to really think if it's worth getting either. Spend your money on something you will use enough to justify getting. I think you are having a bout of GAS :D:wink:

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Landshark

Landshark TalkEmount Rookie

Jun 26, 2016
    SoCal
    Bob
    Even though the "normal" focal length is not my favorite or most used I can see an occasional need, so that is why I asked the question as to whether the 1.4 was really worth all the downsides of the lens. I can suffer from GAS as much as anybody, so that is the other reason for the question will I regret buying the 55. Thanks for comments, I think I will just pick up a 55.

5. ddavi78

ddavi78 TalkEmount Regular

Dec 28, 2013
    USA
    David
    You could buy a vintage 50 1.4 if you don't mind manual focus and the 55.

Sent from my iPhone using TalkEmount mobile app

6. izTheViz

izTheViz TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    Frankly speaking I did not test the 50 but I own the 55. I don't use that much. Still, it's a keeper and it's a beast of sharpness. Recently coupled it with my A7R for a landscape photo and was simply amazed by how much details I got. It may not be stabilized but it's small, light, reliable and provides splendid images.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Both are great lenses, so I don't believe you will find many complaints from their owners or professional reviewers. In addition, I have no doubt the SEL50F14Z outperforms the SEL55F18Z if pixel peeping. Sony already had the 55Z as a model of excellence. The 50Z couldn't just be a little faster to justify the 50% increase in price; it had to be better. That said, it basically boils down to you answering a question. Is maximum performance @50 worth nearly 3X the weight, 2X the size and 1.5X the price?