• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

50mm/2.8 FE Macro SEL50M28

lew

TalkEmount Regular
This lens is somewhat soft close up, but tack sharp further out. I'm disappointed because it's an ideal focal length for me: the sharper macros in the 70-90mm range have too narrow a field of view for a lot of what I like to do.
I don't' need auto anything and I'll be looking at my old Nikons & Minoltas, but suggestions & observations are appreciated.

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Have you got a Micro Nikkor 55 2.8?
Sharp as a tack and a really nice lens all around IMO. I really enjoy shooting mine when it finds its way onto my camera.

lew

TalkEmount Regular
Yes. It's stored away somewhere. Have you tried it on a Sony?

davect01

Super Moderator
Real Name
Dave
While it is not a 2.8, the Minolta Macro has done me great

DSC00768.JPG
DSC00774.JPG

_DSC4129.jpg

http://www.dphotojournal.com/konica-minolta-50mm-f35-md-macro-reviews-sample-photos/

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
We have some samples for the Micro Nikkor 55/2.8 here on the site:
https://www.talkemount.com/threads/nikon-55mm-f-2-8-micro-nikkor-ai-s.16888/

The Voigtlander 65mm Lanthar APO macro was my first Voigtlander lens and remains quite impressive to me. It only goes to 1:2 if that is a concern, and is longer than you might want, but is native e-mount and has electronic communications which has some advantages.

lew

TalkEmount Regular
I'm producing 24x36" exhibition prints. These here are pretty good, but ... here's the 50/2.8 @ 25-30' out. No matter how much you zoom, the tree in the center stays very sharp. I mean appendectomy w/o anesthesia, before you know what's happening sharp. The a7r4 can do this:
AWS-1.jpg

lew

TalkEmount Regular
That quilt looks like a test target. Pretty sharp, I think. Thanks.

lew

TalkEmount Regular
You do these in the winter when you can't get out, right?

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
No, my wife makes them year 'round. I just did a photo shoot of about 15 or so yesterday.
I didn't even set the exposure on the first one I posted. Silly me forgot it wasn't an auto lens. DOH!

Clix Pix

TalkEmount Veteran
8 miles from the Tysons (Virginia) Apple Store
When I bought my A7R IV I got two macro lenses that day, one of them the amazing 90mm f/2.8 and the other the 50mm f/2.8..... I have to admit that I've been so enamored of that 90mm macro lens that for a long time it was the only lens on the camera..... I have used my 50mm a few times but it hasn't been the one for which I immediately reached. I really need to give that lens some love because it is a really nice little lens and offers a couple of advantages that the longer lens doesn't......

lew

TalkEmount Regular
I like the 50 because I find stuff on the ground and the normal focal length works with that better than a short tele. The Sigma 70;and the Sony 90 are both fine in other respects.

Clix Pix

TalkEmount Veteran
8 miles from the Tysons (Virginia) Apple Store
When I had my Nikon gear, one of my favorite lenses then was the 60mm macro, as it worked well in tight spaces and such, and I was thinking that the same would apply to the 50mm Sony macro, but I just haven't used the latter lens all that much yet.... I imagine that this winter, when I'm doing a lot more shooting indoors again and such, that I will be pulling out the 50mm macro and putting her through her paces.

Latest posts

Top Bottom