1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

50 mm lens test

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by scinkk, Feb 6, 2013.

1. scinkk

scinkk TalkEmount Regular

Jan 9, 2013
    Czech Republic
    I did a little indoor test of my 50 mm equipment (it will be better in outdoor but is cold :)

1) Minolta Rokkor 50 mm f1.7
    2) SONY SEL1855 (53 mm)
    3) Canon FD 50 mm f1.8 - better than EF brother :)
    4) Canon EF 50 mm f1.8 II
    5) Pentacon MC 50 mm f1.8
    6) Vivitar 35-70 mm f2.8-3.5 (by Komine) - a little suprise for me

stativ + selftimer
    JPEG 100% crop

Test picture
    Center crop
    Left bottom corner
    Right top corner

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Interesting results. The zoom did much better than I expected it to.

3. Nubster

Nubster TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    I guess tests like this are useful to some people, but honestly they drive me kinda crazy. Maybe I just can't detect the difference because my eyesight isn't as keen as it used to be or I just don't have a trained eye. Honestly, at f/2.8 and above, for the most part, I see very little differences. I prefer to see real world pics taken with the various lenses. That's how I am better able to determine which lenses seem to work well and which ones don't.

4. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    That's a valid point, but when you're looking at which lens you might like to buy a more controlled test can give you an idea which ones not to waste time on.

While in-the-field tests are great, nobody else tests a lens the way I do so they're just as useless. But that's what makes a world. ;)

5. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Interesting things to see in this comparison! I don't understand why the older Canon 50mm 1.8 is so much better in the lower left corner than the newer one, while being so much worse everywhere else. A centering problem?

The Sony zoom isn't really sharp in either corner - not even at f/8. But hey, it's a kit zoom, that was to be expected. The Pentacon lens is garbage (according to this test).

The vivitar zoom has quite low contrast, but resolution seems okay. And last but not least the Rokkor - like expected, pretty nice in the center wide open for shallow dof photography, and good across the frame from f/2.8 onwards.

Thanks for this comparison, scinkk! Shows which lenses to avoid - and why to put the kit zoom back into the package (f/8 isn't that practical anyways).

@Nubster: Do you have a calibrated, high-quality monitor? You can, of course, see the difference even on an iPhone, but it's much easier to see on a Thunderbolt Display, a Dell UltraSharp or something from Eizo.

6. Nubster

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    I have a decent 22" monitor but it's not calibrated. I still don't find these test useful for me. I understand that some people do and that's cool. Maybe I just don't get into the technical side of things enough. I like to look through threads regarding a certain lens and check out the pictures. When the images are consistently good or bad, especially when different people using different gear are still getting the same results, that's how I make my judgement. Throw up comparison pics of a field of flowers, some street shots, or a portrait shot, or something like that. That's what I personally find useful.

Don't take any of my comments as me trying to invalidate or criticize these tests. That's not what I am trying to do. I see the usefulness of them for those of you that can appreciate the tests. That's just not me.

7. Nubster

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad

I can appreciate that.

8. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    It's just hard to compare different lenses with different subjects, situations, photographers and light. I can understand that looking at these charts doesn't make too much sense in this particular constellation - I'd shell out 100 bucks for the Canon 50mm 1.8 in a heartbeat if I'd use a Canon body. But when we come to higher price points things get more complicated - and there's more money to loose if you choose wrong.

Honestly, I won't wait for such tests when (pre)ordering the Zeiss 12mm and 50mm lenses asap. But that's just my trust in the brand rather than any meaningful reason. Usually, it's wise to compare at these price points - or you may end up with a 1000€ 12mm prime that's considerably worse than Sony's 800€ 10-18mm zoom.

9. scinkk

scinkk TalkEmount Regular

Jan 9, 2013
    Czech Republic
    Nubster: I know these tests are not answer to "everything" :) But it is fun and now is no reason to use Pentacon for me for example :) Maybe only in a next test :)

10. Mattithjah

Mattithjah TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 17, 2013
    Czech Republic
    Matěj
    Zdravím po našem, pěkný testík!
    Odhodlávám se trochu si porovnat své dva Jupitery 8, jeden je z roku 56 a druhý z roku 75. Kdyžtak sem pak hodím výsledek. Ještě do toho přimíchám Canona FL 58/1,2.
    Hezký den!