50 mm lens as always-on standard-lens? [SEL50F18]

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by Poki, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011

I was thinking for the last few days if a 50 mm is okay as a standard lens for everyday use. My problem is that there's no other option right now - the Zeiss 24 is too expensive and too short for my needs, and the 30 is way too slow. I need at least f/1.8 for lowlight capabilities and I just have a budget for one lens right now.

So do you think it's okay to use a 50mm on a 1.5x crop as standard lens or is it too long? (For street photography, some macro use, some portraits or small group photos and so on)

I also thought of getting the Voigtländer 35 f/1.4 with the Leica M Adapter. But it's more expensive than I want it and after reading many reviews it seems to be one of the worst CV lenses out there. Do you know other solutions (manual focus isn't a big problem, although autofocus as a option is nice) for less than 500 Euro?

Thanks for your answers,

2. Phoenix

Phoenix TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    Hi Poki

You can always try other lenses that's within your budget via adapters. I went with Minolta Rokkor lenses as I remembered them as very good performers when I used to do film photography in the past. You can get them in 35mm, 40mm, 50mm etc.. and they're very affordable (with the exception of the 58mm 1.2) I've posted some pictures in the adapted lenses thread if you want to check them out.
    As for whether I think a 50 is too long on a 1.5 crop, that's really subjective and depends on the shooter. I recently had problems with a CV Nokton 50mm 1.1 as the minimum focusing distance was 1 metre and as a 50mm with a 1.5 crop it effectively was a 75mm, I felt that it was too long for my liking and had the lens exchanged. The MD Rokkor-X 50mm 1.4 on the other hand was also a 50 but has a minimum focusing distance of 13 inches and I have no problems with the set up at all and I'm absolutely loving it. Let me know if you want to see some examples.

I hope I was able to help
  3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    Poki, that really depends on your preferences. The 50 will be a short telephoto. I remember many times going out with my Canon 350D and 50mm prime with no other lenses and being very happy with the combination, but your mileage may vary. You could probably find an inexpensive used 16mm f/2.8 lens, which would complement the 50 well.
  4. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Thank you very much. I'm going to lock my 18-55 at 50 mm and see if I'm happy with it. If not, I'll read some reviews about Minolta lenses. Will they work with the LA-EA1-Adapter?

Amin - I already have the 16 mm Pancake for moments when size is the absolute most important criterium, but I don't like so wide lenses - I would much prefer a 24, 28 or ever 35 mm Pancake, but like it seems, we weren't going to see something like this from Sony ...
  5. Melv

Melv TalkEmount Regular

Aug 13, 2011
    Rotherham, U.K.
    Poki, if you can afford to wait I think Voigtlander and may be Tamron and Sigma may bring some E-mount lenses out soon (not sure how soon).
  6. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Melv, thanks for your opinion. Yeah, I can wait until next spring, but Tamron and Sigma already announced their support for the E-Mount half a year ago and never showed any lens - not even a prototype or a rumor so far, so I'm not sure if they're coming up with something usable during the next 6 months.

As for Voigtlander - they don't build any electronic in their lenses, right? So there's not much more I would get from a native Voigtlander lens for E-Mount. Okay, maybe it's made for APS-C sized sensors and therefor a bit cheaper and smaller, but that would be the only improvement over the current M-LineUp with Adapters.
  7. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto TalkEmount Regular

Aug 8, 2011
    I would love to have a 30mm or 35mm f/1.8 NEX lens (either from Sony or from a third party like Sigma or Tamron). My favorite legacy lenses to use on my NEX-3 are the 35mm focal length, but I'd love to have AF.

I pre-ordered the upcoming 50mm 1.8 OSS lens even though I've got three legacy 50mm lenses ... because I want AF and image stabilization is a nice addition as well. The 50mm is good for candid portraiture but it is a bit too long for a general walk around lens.

It would be great if Sony made a 35mm f/1.8 OSS lens for $299 as a companion lens for the 50mm OSS ... it would also give the NEX mount something to directly compete against the Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX lens ($199) which is very popular among Nikon budget DSLR shooters.
  8. Travisennis

Travisennis TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    Jasper, Indiana
    Sigma did show a prototype 30mm f2.8 lens a few months ago. I've not heard anything else about it, but it's possible it could be released in the next six months. I really think we will see something from Voigtlander in the next six months to a year.