1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

4K Monitor

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by WoodWorks, May 25, 2016.

1. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    My old MacBook Pro was starting to wheeze every time I tried to use Lightroom, and if I had my usual work setup running (Illustrator/Photoshop/Acrobat), the fan would spool up to 11, and it sounded like I had a Pratt & Whitney PT6 turboprop running in my office. So I sprang for a new Macbook Pro and decided to toss a Dell P2715Q 4K monitor into the cart as well.

4K.

I am now in monitor heaven! :)

• Like Like x 8
  2. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Nice!!! Congrats on the new rig:thumbup:. Oh... thanks for the aeronautics edification. I couldn't help but read up on that PT6 stuff. My head just stopped hurting long enough for me to write this. :confused-69:

• Like Like x 1
  3. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    That looks like quite the workplace, 4K monitor must be great. And how do Lightroom and Photoshop run on the new MacBook Pro?

4. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Much, much better than on my old mid-2010 MacBook Pro. But this new one also has the extra AMD graphics chip in it, so a lot of the video processing gets handed off to it instead of burdening the CPU. I am happy as twelve dogs!

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    Looks great, the Dell high res monitor s are really good, I bought a 27", 5K one a while ago and have no regrets.

Paul

• Like Like x 1
  6. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave

Impressive. I switched to a full HD laptop a few months ago and it was a stark difference. Can only imagine a 4K.

7. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Nice looking set up there !

Heck, if I culled photos on such a new monitor, compared to my 5 year old 15" laptop screen I'd probably be too embarrassed to ever post another photo, LOL.

• Funny Funny x 3
  8. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    +1 a nice digital man cave!
    A 4K monitor is on my wish list.

• Like Like x 1
  9. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    5K?!! Now that would make my eyes bleed! :laugh:
    It's a real eye-opener, Dave. No pun intended. I can see remarkable detail on a full-frame photo without a lot of zooming in and out while editing.

• Like Like x 1
  10. WestOkid

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Sure. Until you get that A7RII. Then it's back to zooming. :)

• Funny Funny x 3
  11. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Nice office and gear! Congrats :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Not necessarily. A 4K monitor won't be that different from my iMac Retina display and I don't pixel-peep as much as I used to (which was a lot actually). Seeing a picture on the monitor comes close to viewing a print as far as resolution is concerned so if it looks good, it's OK even if pixel-peeping reveals a little unsharpness here and there. And in my experience that holds for every camera, be it an A7R2 or a NEX-6 or a 12 MP Panasonic GH2, even though in the latter case a picture is almost at 100 % viewing when filling the screen.

13. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    One thing I'm very impressed with is the colour accuracy of my 2 Dell monitors. I have a Dell 2412 (1920 x 1050) wide gamut monitor and also the 27" 5K (5,120 x 2,880) wide gamut monitor, they both have LUT (look up table) calibration and I have the I-rite pro screen calibrator, despite different technologies, size, resolution etc once calibrated both monitors are identical, if you look hard you can see minor differences in some colours but it's not significant.
    I sent off a colour swatch to a photo paper supplier (Foto Speed in the UK) to calibrate my printer for paper I bought from them, once that was done the prints are amazing close to whats on the monitors so it verifies that everything is in calibration, it's nice when a plan comes together.

Paul

14. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    The first thing I did after getting both monitors (my other monitor is an Apple LED Cinema Display) set up was to calibrate both of them with my Datacolor Spyder 5. So even though I wiped out the factory calibration that came with the new Dell, the same image displayed on both monitors now looks identical. I don't do much printing, but Canon's Print Studio Pro does an excellent job of getting what I see on the monitor onto paper.

15. WestOkid

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    There you go spending my money again. I just ordered a Datacolor Spyder 5. That should hold me over until you start going on about how your post processing has gotten so much better because of the 4K monitor.

• Funny Funny x 3
  16. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Now that you mention it, Gary... :laugh1:

• Funny Funny x 4