1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

3rd party vertical grip for A7RII?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by markem, Aug 30, 2015.

1. markem

markem New to TalkEmount

Jul 30, 2014
    Hi Guys,

Can you recommend a good 3rd party vertical grip for the A7RII? Will the ones for the A7II work?

Cheers.

2. robbie36

robbie36 TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 21, 2014
    I think the only 3rd party grip out there is the Meike. It is sold for the A7ii but certainly works with the A7rii.

It scores highly for ....
    1) Being incredibly cheap
    2) Coming with an extremely useful wireless remote.

Unfortunately, it wasnt very reliable on my A7ii. Sometimes it would go into manual focus. Sometimes the 'C buttons' didnt work properly. Many other people had similar problems (see Fredmiranda). So far it seems to work pretty flawlessly on my A7rii but I havent really shot with it in earnest.

If I was going to have a vertical grip permanently attached to my camera I would go with the Sony but if you can accept the odd electronic foible and like the wireless remote then you cant really argue with the Meike at its price point.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. markem

markem New to TalkEmount

Jul 30, 2014
    Thanks. I've ordered one to try.

4. markem

markem New to TalkEmount

Jul 30, 2014
    It has arrived. The rear buttons are not great as they are flush with the body but I will see if I can find some small black rubber stick-on buttons to go on those. Otherwise it seems to be working perfectly on the A7RII. The camera handles much more nicely with it fitted.

5. slothead

slothead TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    Markem, keep us posted on your success. I read somewhere that the camera menu malfunctioned when someone used a third party grip, but that was one case and who knows if it was really the cause of the malfunction. If you have good luck with it, I'll go get one too. I used one with my Nikon D800 and it has always worked well.

--- edit ---

I guess you have already rendered a verdict. I'll go get one then.

6. Dennis Koh

Dennis Koh TalkEmount Rookie

Aug 9, 2015
    I am using the original grip with my A7II. Love the build quality. But it's build in such a way that your hand will always accidentally touch the shutter button on the grip and depressing it causing you to not able shoot as the grip shutter button was depressed. A design flaw I would say. And makes no sense to turn the shutter button on the grip to off and only turn on when you wanna shoot. Apart from this issue, everything is working great on this grip.

I am comparing this to the Nikon MB-D15 grip that I used to use with my D7100. The Nikon grip was so much more superior in terms of design.

7. markem

markem New to TalkEmount

Jul 30, 2014
    No issues to report with the grip. Electronics are working perfectly and no issues with the camera menu. Very good value for money so far.

8. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    Thanks for the report Markem.

I'm still on the fence about a vertical grip of any brand. It really seems to defeat the entire purpose of scaling back (in size). The last grip that I thought was worth the extra weight and size was the one for the Nikon D700 (that practically doubled its frame rate). No other grip has done anything more than hold an additional battery and offered a new handhold.

I'm from an old school when the motor drive enabled a LOT faster frame rate out of the Nikon F series, but since the change to digital, they, for the most part, have been pretty functionally useless. In fact I would offer that the manufacturers know that there is a certain psychologically impact of the grip that provides a measure of "professionalism" to the owners of grips (at least in the owners' minds). In the case of the A7RII, there are a couple characteristics of the Meike that offer measure of value (1) two batteries (since the batteries of this camera charge seem to last so briefly) and (2) its remote shutter release, but it is worth the size and mass hit?

At least the price of the Meike is low enough that it isn't a major sacrifice to find this out.

9. robbie36

Nov 21, 2014
    Tom, rather like you I am pretty allergic to anything that makes my camera bigger. It really has to justify its worth beyond the extra battery. However the Meike battery grip scores incredibly highly with me for two reasons.

1) The remote is truly excellent - it never misses a beat. Perfect for macro, and also for studio portraits when I often like to take photos of a model when she doesnt expect it. (It is good, I guess, for landscapes as well, although I rarely want the extra bulk).

2) It is an enormous help for me in terms of shooting vertically. For some reason if I shoot vertically without a grip I cannot seem to get the horizon straight without a lot of concentration and effort. And I am often out by 15 degrees that makes cropping difficult.

I am sure your use will differ a bit from mine but at the price its offered it doesnt really need to add much value very often.

10. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    I understand Robbie. And to be honest, right after I posted last, I ordered one. :)

11. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    Markem, I see that the grip has two buttons on it marked C1 and C2. Do you know if they always operate based on the programming of the C1 and C2 on the camera body?

Thanks,

12. robbie36

Nov 21, 2014
    Yes. You cannot program them separately.

13. markem

markem New to TalkEmount

Jul 30, 2014
    Yes the buttons have the same program settings as the camera automatically.

14. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    Markem, do you have any trouble getting batteries in and out of the grip? I have a dickens of a time doing that!