1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

3rd party batteries for C3

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Toonman, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Toonman

Toonman TalkEmount Rookie

Aug 9, 2011
    Has anyone any experience of using 3rd part batteries for Sony Nex C3? Are they OK? I'm thinking of an Ebay cheapy. Does Sony still use firmware to stop them working?

Thanks

2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I am using one from Ebay that works perfectly.

3. Toonman

Toonman TalkEmount Rookie

Aug 9, 2011
    Thanks for the reply Dave.

4. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    My nex-5n gives a warning and then shuts down when I use the 3rd party batteries that I was using with nex-5. I don't know why. Does anybody have recommendation for 5n?

5. JimR

JimR TalkEmount Regular

Mar 28, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Jim
    I had the same issue with a "Lenner" battery purchase at Fry's for my C3. Took it back and spent the addtional $40 for the Sony.

6. yunfat

yunfat TalkEmount Rookie

Dec 23, 2011
  7. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    There are many batteries out that work. Just look which info-chip they use. Usually you can trust amazons user reviews here - if they say it works on your NEX, than it should work. Otherwise, it's at least easy to send it back to Amazon.

8. yunfat

yunfat TalkEmount Rookie

Dec 23, 2011
    Actually, I went through the amazon reviews for my recent (end of march 2012) purchase. I found them:

1) Mostly wrong. Many batteries incompatible with my NEX-C3 as stated by the camera, but apparently worked fine in other Sony cameras.
    2) Not up to date.
    3) Don't address the current firmware, (and possible Sony modifications to battery tolerances).
    4) Possibly compatible with NEX-3 and NEX-5 and not C3 and 5N.

The sheer plethora of 3rd party batteries make it impossible to decide who really has the goods on Amazon, and imho the reviews for each generic are too sparse to be trusted.

9. Ray Vardy

Ray Vardy TalkEmount Regular

I need to order a spare battery, so your post and wondering if the firmware version of the camera may make a difference. I.E does this battery still work for you
    ok on the latest?

10. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    heard

I have heard that the original 3 and 5 have no problems accepting aftermarket batteries, but that further models started having limitations.

I myself have an original 3 and a battery bought off of EBay which has worked perfectly.

11. Luiz Curcino

Luiz Curcino TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 27, 2012
    Uberlandia-MG Brasil
    The new Nex C3, 7 and 5N no accepts any battery...

I bought a battery "original" NP-FW50 but it did not work. I believe to be false. I bought two 3rd party battery brands at Amazon.com: Digital Power HK and Wasabi Power. These two batteries worked well in my 5N.

The first seems to have no more in Amazon.com.

The second is here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0049WBZEK

12. Ray Vardy

Ok so just ordered one from Amazon £12.00 let you know how it works out

Thanks

13. Ray Vardy

Ok so it arrived today, first things first, what's it got written on it = li-on battery, for Sony NP-FW50, 7.4V, 1500maH. Hang on! My oem battery says 7.2V, 1020maH....

Oh well let's bang it in the charger and see.. It fits (good start), Amber light (good good), 3hrs 50 minutes later the light goes out (excellent), hmm ok so I try it in the camera (after all what difference can .2volt make, right??)... Momentarily flash of the light next to the battery cover and....

....A funny smell, then smoke, noooooooooo, just kidding ;) camera switches on, battery symbol, with percentage showing etc, so all is fantasic (Sony can stick their £76 battery!)

Ps. Luv you Sony

14. Amalf355

Amalf355 New to TalkEmount

Jun 14, 2012
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
    Chris
    Any chane you could post the brand and possibly a link?

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Ray Vardy

Sorry thats all the detail the battery had printed, they delivered to work and I left the paperwork there, will try and find tomorrow a and let you know!

16. Luiz Curcino

Luiz Curcino TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 27, 2012
    Uberlandia-MG Brasil
    Ray Vardy! You scared me! :p I thought I would have to pay their C3 spoiled ...
    Well, now you have a spare 1500mA battery.
    Enjoy it. ;)

17. Ray Vardy

Hi there, so the info on my receipt=

http://www.powerplant.co.uk

Location code: 2817
    Product description: compatible battery Sony np-fw50 v2 xaa-syfw50d2b

Price £12.90

Hope this helps you.

18. Ray Vardy

Haha yep :)

19. lowbone

lowbone TalkEmount Regular

Oct 21, 2012
    I have been buying batteries from Sterlingtek for my DSLR's for years with no issues. I recently bought one for my NEX and it works very well, probably has a higher capacity then the Sony's because it seems to last longer.

20. applemint

applemint TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
    I bought a third party battery from amazon marketplace (UK) for my Nex 5 - it worked fine for the first few months although I hardly used it as it's a spare and the original one on a full charge usually lasted a full day and then would get recharged when I got home.

Anyway - lately I have noticed that the generic one is either losing power really fast or is displaying inaccurate remaining power percentage levels (possibly the latter). So even if a generic battery seems okay initially, it may have issues down the line...

There is a brand called Hahnel that seems to get good reviews and another one called Blue something (see amazon.de) but @£28 they are quite a lot more expensive than the other generic ones (@£12) and not that much cheaper than genuine Sony ones (@£37).