1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

3N: optimizing screen in sunlight? OVF/EVF alternatives?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Jen Watson, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Jen Watson

Jen Watson New to TalkEmount

Apr 30, 2013
    I'm pretty much sold on the 3N, but the lack of viewfinder or even hot shoe (artificial limitation?) is my primary cause of concern.

Since I plan on purchasing this camera solely for upcoming summer trips (wherein I can't carry my DSLR gear) I'd need decent screen performance in sunlight. It isn't worth getting the 6 or older NEX models because: 1) this would be my backup camera, therefore it should be affordable (<$500); 2) I need compact size, and older NEX models don't come with the 16-50mm PZ. So, I want to make due with the 3N.

I saw a picture of a funny little attachment that basically acts as a magnifier on the screen, but I can't find the pic anymore. Any OVF/EVF alternatives like that would be great! Do you 3N owners currently use anything like that?

Would an anti-glare screen protector optimize sunlight performance, or would the degradation in clarity negate everything?

Thanks!

2. Utik

Utik TalkEmount Regular

Feb 7, 2013
    Rimini, Italy
    The problem is that the 3n comes with a worse screen than the higher end cameras, and without the viewfinder you have only the screen to view what you're shooting at, so i picked up the 5r which to me is best bang for the buck if you want the 16-50 bundle, the 5r screen can handle without problems sunny days, as I can demonstrate here https://www.talkemount.com/f20/lord-flying-rings-3044/

3. Grisu_HDH

Grisu_HDH TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    On my 5N there is a setting called "sunshine" for the LCD. Is there one on the 3N too?

Perhaps an accessory like that could help:
    www.fotohobbyshop.de/ebay/lcd/DSC_0021.jpg
    But it looks like there is none available for the 3N...