3N - 5N or 6?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by elandel, Nov 1, 2013.

1. elandel

elandel TalkEmount Regular

Mar 7, 2012
    Milan
    Hi all, I'm about to buy a nex camera for the second time waiting for the A7 price drop in a year or so.

I'm trying to decide between 3n - 5n (already owned it) and 6. Price is a moderate issue. The 3n comes with the 16-50 - the 5n with the 18-55 and the 6 body only (the one I can afford). My problem is the lens that I would like to use also with the A7 in the future as a starting point. If Ibuy the 6 I'll also have to buy a lens instead with the 3 and 5 there is already a lens.

I already have a very good m4/3 system with many m4/3 lens and Zuiko pro lens that I adapt and am happy with. Now I want something with a bigger sensor for low-light photos and waiting to afford the FF I would like to get the APC-S sized Nex cameras.

Monday I must make a decision because I found used ones. Maybe the 3n is too basic? the 5n a bit old?
    Need help please.

2. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    I guess 5n doesn't have the phase detect sensors. I don't know 3n, but I think they are very similar. Nex-6 has evf if you need it. However lenses are only useable on A7 with crop mode (equiv 10MP), will not cover the full A7 sensor. So you might wait and save money for A7 if you have a good m43 system. The latest m43 sensors are nearly good as nex as some of them also use Sony sensors.

3. elandel

Mar 7, 2012
    Milan
    Thats a good idea but I need a second body and for now one of those three are what I can afford.

4. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    I tried to use F3 without an EVF and hated the experience, so for me 6 makes perfect sense because it already has EVF. As for the lens, can you pick up a sharp legacy lens that would perform well on FF ? Or do you really need AF in the interim ?

There's plenty of legacy lenses that were designed for FF and are very good optically, and cheap. Any of the legacy "nifty 50s", for example. I have two Minolta MD 50/1.7 and just slightly stopped down they are very sharp, even wide open they are decent, especially for portraits. They can be had very cheaply. Another lens I really like is Minolta MD 35-70/3.5 Macro, again a very sharp lens, and around here goes for about $50.

5. elandel

Mar 7, 2012
    Milan
    EVF would be important for me because of my sight. I have many legacy lenses due my many years of shooting with different brands: Nikon AIS all from 28 to 200mm and some zooms; Pentax 50s and 135mm; also 100 macro; OM legacy lenses and others. With a good nex and focus peaking I can wait a year before buying the FF.

6. izzikiorage

izzikiorage TalkEmount Veteran

Jul 30, 2013
    I had made the same choice some time back and wound up taking the nex 6. The major differences were

1. Nex 6 has EVF
    2. NEX 5 has a touch screen, but at apart from using the keyboard for wifi passwords haven't missed it a lot on the 6
    3. Phase detect focus is a beauty. Noticibly fast focussing
    4. In built flash that can be pulled back to work as a bounce flash, a lifesaver if you forget your speedlites to an event
    5. Standard hotshoe on the nex 6. You might have to use the sony flashes if TTL is vital to you... For manual shooters its a great budget friendly solution
    6. Beefier and grip friendly shape of the nex 6.... Not a very imp point for me but people feel this is very important

Thats why i wound up with the nex 6.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

7. elandel

Mar 7, 2012
    Milan
    Thanks. How is IQ compared to rivals and jpg sooc? Is high iso as good as 5n?

8. izzikiorage

Jul 30, 2013
    The IQ is pretty good compared to most dslrs I've seen. Jpegs straight out of the camera are very good, although of you take a raw you can see how much the camera works to make them good.

ISO upto 1600 is very usable and even after that it's ok for some uses.

9. izzikiorage

Jul 30, 2013
    You can find a raw + jpeg using this link. It'll give you an idea of the iso performance and the dynamic range of the camera

http://www.gigasize.com/get/mz4ndmswmhd

10. elandel

Mar 7, 2012
    Milan
    Thanks. Cannot download from the link.

11. Cinders

Cinders TalkEmount Rookie

Jul 21, 2013
    I'd go with the 3n, if you're just going to buy the A7 later. I have a 3n and it's perfectly usable. I see it as more of a tool than a thing to love lol. You can put the screen in sunny weather mode when it's bright out and I can still make out what's on the screen 85% of the time. And manually focusing is super easy because of peaking, and because it automatically zooms into a shot so you can make sure it's in focus. The only issue I have with the 3n is it's somewhat noisy shutter, but it's not awful, just took some getting used to.

12. Lucille

Lucille TalkEmount Veteran

May 22, 2013
    The 3n is a incredible bargain........ it's jpegs are rather decent.....