• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

365 Days with the NEX-6

LouisJohnD

TalkEmount Regular
Hello everyone! I just want to provide a link to my wordpress where I have begun a 365 project using the NEX-6, the 16-50mm power zoom, an adapted Nikon E-Series 50mm F 1.8 and a few other lenses. I began the project on December 21st, so today will be my third day. Thank you! :]

Louis John Dalterio III's Photography

Here's a sample image:

Miyah in Laughter.jpg
   ---            

Bimjo

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jim
I always admire people who manage to pull this off. I certainly could never do it. Sometimes I go for months and don't touch my camera, so anybody who can take a meaningful pic everyday for a year gets a thumbs up im my book.

nianys

TalkEmount All-Pro
Well, you got me addicted already ! Quite my type of photography :)

teefin1

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Love that. I'm hoping to do a 'photo a day for a year' to improve so i commend you. :)

LouisJohnD

TalkEmount Regular
Thanks for the encouragement guys :] teefin1 that's exactly why I'm doing it! I'm going to school in Boston around this time next year so I'm trying to get my chops up before then :]

Is everyone familiar with Luca Rossini? His 356 (+1) project is partially what inspired me to do this. It's also what brought me here to this great forum as he mainly uses the NEX-7 with adapted Voigtlander lenses, among others.

Rich

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Richard
I admire anyone who can see a project like this through.
I'd fail after the first week! :)

Best of luck to you, hope it go's well. Oh, and show us some of the pictures as you go along.

LouisJohnD

TalkEmount Regular
Here are two images I've made recently for this project.

December 24th 2012 Santa at Liquor Store PSv3.jpg
   ---            

December 26th 2012 Tree Snowfall.jpg
   ---            

Both with the 16-50mm power zoom! I haven't heard much about this lens, and initially I was disappointed in how slow it is, but after working with it for about a week I have found that it is possible to overcome the lens' slowness with the NEX-6's ability to retain image quality at 1600 ISO, and the lens' built in OSS, which enables images shots (handheld) at as low as 1/4 shutter to retain their sharpness. No question Legacy Lenses are sharper in general than kit lenses, but because of the power zoom's versatility it's been on my lens 90% of the time. Another feature I've found useful is the on screen display of what MM the lens is zoomed to - this has been helpful in finding what focal length feels best for me, and will undoubtedly influence my future legacy lens purchases.

BJW

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Bruce
I might be able to get close if I keep everything I shoot but meaningful shots, no way. And I really enjoyed seeing this image. Everyone in the background seems to be having a great time, the man in front, not so much.
BJW

Poki

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
I like the tree with the snow - nice photo! I too would never be able to do such a project as long as photography is not my job because, well, I'm more the type of photographer who prepares a week or so for a shootout and then tries to get the best possible.

@ChangshaNotes: Wordpress is blocked in China? That's sad ...

Real Name
Colin
@ChangshaNotes: Wordpress is blocked in China? That's sad ...

Yeah, it sucks. Blogger, YouTube, Twitter, Facebook (may be a good thing) are blocked.

Last month the New York Times was blocked, and continues to be, due to a story on an ex-president of China and how much money he has s̶t̶o̶l̶e̶n̶ accumulated.

There are ways around the blocks but they are inconvenient and slow to load. For text it's ok but for a photo/video based site, the slowness with no guarantee it will actually load is .... difficult.

Poki

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Yeah, it sucks. Blogger, YouTube, Twitter, Facebook (may be a good thing) are blocked.

Last month the New York Times was blocked, and continues to be, due to a story on an ex-president of China and how much money he has s̶t̶o̶l̶e̶n̶ accumulated.

There are ways around the blocks but they are inconvenient and slow to load. For text it's ok but for a photo/video based site, the slowness with no guarantee it will actually load is .... difficult.

Youtube? That's even worse. :O It's okay to block Facebook, though. ;)

You speak of proxy servers, right? I know how bad most of them are. They simply should stop this censorship crap ... That doesn't help anybody after all.

Real Name
Colin
It helps them control the message.

It also helps local companies. Twitter, YouTube and Facebook gobble up local competition around the world. Sort of like not letting Walmart move into a town.

Proxy Servers and VPNs, but the blocking is not centralized. The rules are, but the methods are up to local providers (with advice), so what works in one place doesn't always work in others. The methods of blocking are continuously updated. For the serious computer geek, it's probably not much of an issue but I already know more about computers than I really want to from dealing with it.

Somethings are just slowed down. Like Google. So it slowly pushes you away from that service. I generally use Bing to search because Google is slow and if I accidentally use a keyword that's flagged, then Google search will be blocked for about 5 minutes (forever) on my internet connection.

Anyway, sorry for the off topic post.

LouisJohnD, I've been trying to post something in the "Welcome to the Fall Challenge" thread everyday. I've made it to 74 straight days so far but it's hard sometimes when you feel the photo you are posting is crap. It is fun though, and I've been learning a lot. Not just about photography and my camera and lenses but about me too.

Luckypenguin

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Nic
Good luck with your 365 project! I pretty sure that I wouldn't be able to commit to something of that magnitude, so I take my hat off to you for giving it a go.

LouisJohnD

TalkEmount Regular
Here are a few more from the past week.

December 29th 2012 Snowsto copy.jpg
   ---            

January 3rd 2013 Ryan Zombie.jpg
   ---            

January 5th 2013 Chris in Basement.jpg
   ---            

January 7th 2013 Swan Candle.jpg
   ---            

I've recently purchased the Sigma 30mm 2.8 due mostly to the advice and encouragement from threads on this site, and I'm happy to say I'm happy with it! It hasn't left my camera since the day I got it! Once again I'm grateful for this community. Thanks!

LouisJohnD

TalkEmount Regular
It helps them control the message.

It also helps local companies. Twitter, YouTube and Facebook gobble up local competition around the world. Sort of like not letting Walmart move into a town.

Proxy Servers and VPNs, but the blocking is not centralized. The rules are, but the methods are up to local providers (with advice), so what works in one place doesn't always work in others. The methods of blocking are continuously updated. For the serious computer geek, it's probably not much of an issue but I already know more about computers than I really want to from dealing with it.

Somethings are just slowed down. Like Google. So it slowly pushes you away from that service. I generally use Bing to search because Google is slow and if I accidentally use a keyword that's flagged, then Google search will be blocked for about 5 minutes (forever) on my internet connection.

Anyway, sorry for the off topic post.

LouisJohnD, I've been trying to post something in the "Welcome to the Fall Challenge" thread everyday. I've made it to 74 straight days so far but it's hard sometimes when you feel the photo you are posting is crap. It is fun though, and I've been learning a lot. Not just about photography and my camera and lenses but about me too.

ChangshaNotes, That sounds terrible! I wouldn't mind much if Facebook were blocked - I recently read a quote: "Facebook. It's like looking into your fridge over and over hoping it magically replicated something interesting." haha. I would, however, be upset about Google being slow/ blocked, I use it for everything!

I've been continually observing the posts in the Fall Challenge thread and it's quite a wonderful thing everyone's doing there! I know that whenever I take on a new project I learn a lot of new things about photography - techniques, color, lighting, motion etc. - but I'm beginning to find that there's something special about a 365 project. I feel it tests me every day, challenges me to keep seeing the world in my unique way, the same way I photograph it, and it helps me pay attention to everything around me and creates interest and the desire to investigate in everything whereas prior to the project I'd only photograph something that interested me on the surface. It's got me hunting, I suppose, rather than waiting for a shot to come to me.

"Crap" is subjective, you are your worst critic after all! :] I think having fun with it is the most important thing, especially with such a daunting project. I might go crazy if I take it too seriously :O haha

Latest threads

Top Bottom