1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

35 more theoretic questions to ask you.

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by alaios, Sep 5, 2013.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi,
    Its me again… the theory guy that all the times just ask but it never shoots… (at least this is the comment I get here most of the time).

Well thinks are different in reality, working 10-12 hours per day, 2 hours commute time and a household to support, a newborn daughter and a lovely wife.

There is always something that intrigues me with the theory.. I want to have this feeling that I know everything (real job: University geek).. not because that would help me not do mistakes but mostly when I will fail it will be easier for me to find a cause..
    I am in photography only few months now, but I really miss the time to shoot…. Most of the time I am at the office keeping the dream alive by posting here.
    Ok too long introduction back to the main subject now.. This is my second day on vacation and yes I do have more time now… So I thought it might be a good idea to follow your tips and do some real shooting.
    Well I also wanted to have a “subject” or sort of exercise with defined rules to follow.

So this is what I thought I should try to improve on composition of a shot. So this is how the exercise was:
    -Do not mix up too many lenses (I used a 50mm and a 30mm)
    -Find a subject that you do not know (a friend’s house I would see for the first time)
    -Improve your courage to take shot and ignore other comments (The same day were also relatives there at the house, so I have prepared some short chats to give in case they see me lying on the floor)
    -Do not focus too much on full sharpness, or not shaky shots, just “see-shoot-move” (I wanted to improve composition)

Here are the results of my first exercise. Comments are always welcome.

http://alexpal.smugmug.com/Καθημερινότητα/ToSpiti

2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Wow! There are some very good images there, Alex, and well composed. I think the "less-thinking/more-shooting" plan has paid off for you. Post some more!

3. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    As we have been telling you all along-just go shoot. And it works! There are some very nice shots in your album. You have to be careful to avoid "paralysis by analysis" by over-thinking every little detail. Unless you are shooting for scientific purposes, you don't have to be perfect. Sometimes (perhaps much of the time) pretty good is good enough.

I (and I suspect everyone here) can always find something wrong with every shot we take. The trick is to learn that it just doesn't matter. Some of my favorite shots that I've taken over the years are incredibly flawed technically. But the memories they invoke are priceless and I wouldn't trade that for a sterile, flawless pic for anything.

4. olli

olli TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2011
    Washington DC
    olli
    Hello Alex, from a fellow Smugmug user. You might like to know that you have your shopping cart set to 'on'. This means that anyone visiting your site could order prints of any of your images at cost price and you wouldn't see a penny. Generally, unless you have the version of Smugmug with the ability to set your prices it's best to keep it turned off.

Log in, go to Organize, select Organize Site. Select all your galleries and click on Settings. Choose the Shopping tab, select Shopping Cart and choose Off.

Keep shooting and creating lots of new galleries. I'm at photography by olli.

5. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Some very nice photos in your album Alex ;)

6. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    Nice to see some photos Alex. Gotta put that theory into practice. If all the other parameters are average but the composition is great, you have yourself a great photo and if everything else is perfect but you have bad composition, it's a bad photo, but if you try to get too technical with composition, you end up with an average photo. (all my opinion of course)

_DSC0369-L.

I take this kind of photo all the time. Sitting on my sofa shooting anything to get a feel for the lens. The dog sees me pick up a camera and moves to another room because he knows I'm going to shoot him a hundred times. I'm not going to measure distances when I'm out and about so I need to get a real feel, a kind of instinctual knowledge rather than an intellectual one. Of course I spend a lot of time reading about photography too, but it doesn't matter until the you get a feel for it. It's a marriage of tech and art and it's the art part that is harder to get at. I figure, with enough practice, I'll be really good in another 100 years or so.

Now let's see some photos of the kid mate.

7. ChangshaNotes

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    Thanks for mentioning this olli

I'm a SmugMug user too and I think the Shopping Cart was turned off but I just went back and made sure.

8. ChangshaNotes

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    Looking at your site again Alex, I love the baby carriage theme you have going on in that one gallery.

9. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I feel that soon Alex is gonna give us some very nice portrait shots of the baby ;)

10. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Finally Alaios gets shooting ! ;)
    You are experimenting here and it's a great thing, some irrelevant shots BUT also some interesting ones. It's very compelling to have read a person's posts for a while and finally see their images, immediately we get a glimpse of how your mind and aesthetic sensitivity works, and in this regard a compilation of pictures is really more telling than a hundred posts. You have an eye for lines, geometry, motives and perspective, which are great components of a capable photographic mind. I did like a lot of the glass pendants shots, and the floor boards as well, they make for intriguing patterns and shape. I loved to see you play with composition and framing, and appreciated that you got bold and used way off center sujbects.
    You're on a roll, just keep at it. The practice of shooting is worth hours spent (over)analysing data ;)

P.S. : I'd say next assignment ; shoot something alive. Tougher, but you're gifted so you get to move up fast :p

11. olli

olli TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2011
    Washington DC
    olli
    Very nice site - great images, nice design.