1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

3 lenses, a park, and a bridge

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by TonyTurley, Jul 22, 2013.

1. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Not far from my home, there was a major bridge that was so unsafe it was completely demolished, and is in the process of being rebuilt. The closure has caused a lot of headaches, because a lot of people used the bridge to get between two small cities. It was a very busy bridge. Fortunately, I don't have to use the bridge on my usual commute. About 1/2 mile upstream, there is a roadside park dedicated to the efforts of local people in the military. It is named for the many women who worked in factories while the men were overseas in WWII, and there is an Honest John missile replica dedicated to Chuck Yeager, who grew up in a nearby town.

My goal was to photograph the construction of the new bridge from the same spot with three different lenses: a Minolta 28/2.8, a Minolta Rokkor-X 50/1.7, and a Sakar Auto MC 135/2.5. I also threw in a couple of touristy shots. First the MD 28/2.8:

21_zpsc989bd4c.

09_zpsb0af7315.

12_zpsbdfb3da1.

The Rokkor-X 50/1.7:

16_zps30241c39.

Finally, the Sakar 135/2.5:

19_zps805fdc3a.

2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Of the three, I prefer the 28, with the 50 as a close second. But then, I tend to see everything as an opportunity for a wide-angle lens. :rolleyes:

3. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    I like the wide angles, too, particularly for something like a bridge shot - unless the bridge is about 2 miles away. On the other hand, a 135mm has a fantastic FOV for doing things like imaging airplanes halfway across the airport. I have found it useful to have it in my bag. I suppose something like the Tamron 18-200 could cover a multitude of FLs, but I'm having too much fun playing with my legacy glass. :)

Tony