1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

2X teleconverter for Vivitar 400mm 5.6 Telephoto

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Zanner, May 29, 2015.

1. Zanner

Zanner TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    Suzanne
    I need help from someone who knows what the heck they are doing. I want a 2x teleconverter for my Vivitar 400mm 5.6 lens (MD mount). And I'm very confused about all these teleconverters. Is there a way for someone to show me (with a link or something) as to what I need to purchase? Not AF or anything. I'm a manual kinda gal.

Thank you in advance -

2. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I've had good results with a Minolta 300-S teleconverter coupled to a Sigma 400/5.6 (MF MD, not APO). I forgot :eek-30: to make pics of my own sample, here you can see an arbitrary ad with a good picture. There are myriads of other makes and types, don't know anything about them.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. Kirkp

Kirkp TalkEmount Regular

Nov 2, 2014
    Keep in mind that a with a 2x teleconverter you lose 2 stops, so your f/5.6 lens becomes f/11 wide open. Typically, image quality suffers with teleconverters. You might want to reduce the aperture a stop or so to get some sharpness back, but with the 2x converter you'll now be at f/16. So this combo will only be useful on a very stable tripod. It should work fine for moon shots or daylight shots of motionless subjects.
    Since teleconverters degrade the image, only use them as a last resort. Cropping by 50% gives you much the same result as a 2x teleconverter without the optical degradation. The drawback of cropping is you reduce the number of pixels in the image, which means you can't enlarge it as much. ... Lots of tradeoffs!

4. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    It might be good idea to study 1.4 magnification teleconverters. I have a Nikon one and it works well with nikon 300mm/4.5 ED.

5. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    In trying various combinations, I'm lucky that my Canon FDn 300 and 400mm lenses each do a great job on the moon by themselves with F11 + 1/125 or F8 + 1/250.

And the 300 does an outstanding job with the 2x-A Extender made for it...at 600mm I leave it wide open at the F4 setting for an effective F8, with 1/250.
    But the 400 + 2x-A is not as sharp as the 300 + 2x-A.

I have a 1.4x I could use on the 400 but it would only be 560mm...and with the 300+2x already so good at 600 I haven't tried it...guess I need to test that combination 'just because'.

6. Kirkp

Kirkp TalkEmount Regular

Nov 2, 2014
    My longest lens currently is 210mm f/3.5. To do a moon shot without a teleconverter I'd need to crop to the point where I'm left with too few pixels. I'm watching for a bargain on a longer telephotos, as I'd much rather avoid the teleconverter.