28mm F2.0 FE arrived today

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by dmward, May 5, 2015.

1. dmward

dmward TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 21, 2015
    Metro Chicago
    David
    Adorama sent my pre-ordered 28 F2.0 FE lens overnight.
    Took it out for a walk this afternoon.
    Should be able to get a couple of images into the this thread tomorrow.

Its small, light and very nice combo with A7M2.

• Like Like x 1
  2. dmward

Mar 21, 2015
    Metro Chicago
    David
    Here are a couple of images from my initial walk about with the 28/F2 FE.

This one was shot at F2. The foliage is about 6 feet behind the lantern.
    The image is processed using my normal Lightroom process.
    Import with linear tone curve Camera Profile, adjust shadows, highlights, white, black, clarity. Apply a Kodachrome emulation preset. The adjust the tone curve using sliders to get the tone curve I want for the image. I also trend to warm images, particularly ones like this that are shot when its overcast.
    For sharpening I start with a set of presets that were developed for the Fuji X-Trans sensor. I like the way they handle A7M2 images.

Even when using an image to illustrate what a lens can deliver, I think its appropriate to use my normal processing routine.

[​IMG]

This image got about the same treatment. Exact slider positions might be a little different.
    The blossom is about 30 feet from the background wall.
    [​IMG]

Bottom line: this is a very nice lens. Especially considering its size and price.

• Like Like x 10
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    ...and these are some very nice photos too ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

I really like what I see here, except for the twigs on the right in the first image but that's something my $1k SEL24f18Z and other more expensive lenses wouldn't render any better and if the second image hasn't seen any distortion treatment whatsoever I don't know what the recent fuss is all about (optical vs. electronic correction). I've been shooting NEXes since they came out and have often critisized Sony for their lens strategy but this one looks like a right move to me and I'll soon get a copy myself. Thanks for posting these samples, David - keep them coming.

5. Snowy

Snowy TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Barry
    You must be happy with that sort of performance David. Both images are very nice.

6. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    Excellent shots!

Distortion correction affects the edges and stretches more going from center to the edge which is usually not good for 3D objects like people faces eg if you have a group shot... It is the first Sony prime lens other then the pancake lenses with heavy distortion corrections... Even the new Zeiss Batis 85mm has bad distortion esp for a portrait lens. At least you have option to not correct... It is not like that if you shoot Sony Rx100, m43, etc in adobe products, eg automatically corrected...

7. dmward

Mar 21, 2015
    Metro Chicago
    David
    The lens profile option is checked in Lightroom develop module for these images.
    I consider the software based corrections as part of the lens design, so have it on all the time.

8. Nexnut

I know, Serhan, maybe I've should have expressed myself more clearly. There was a rather lengthy debate on this lens over at DPR and a good number of folks would have preferred a more optically corrected 28mm rather than leaving the job to some software which is absolutely understandeable BUT optical correction to somewhere below 1% barrel distortion would have resulted in a significantly larger, heavier and hence more expensive lens, and who knows if Sony don't already have a f1.4 Zeiss version up their sleeves. For my personal needs this new 28mm/f2 seems good enough, and telling from the images I've seen so far I'd somehow prefer it to the five other 28mm FOV lenses I currently own. All it needs is a FF body to live on, maybe the new A7R II.

9. dmward

Mar 21, 2015
    Metro Chicago
    David
    Since people are asking about the software based lens correction here are a couple of examples.
    First is a wall to make it easier to see the affect of the correction. All the images are processed the same. I processed the distortion corrected image, then made a virtual copy and unchecked the lens profile tick box.

As a reminder, my workflow is to import the raw files into Lightroom with a custom camera profile that applies a linear tone curve to eliminate the toe and shoulder compression that seems to be an Adobe default. The result is a flat image without any strong blacks or whites. These images are even more exaggerated since it was foggy when these were shot. I opened the shadows by moving the shadow slider to 50. I added 50 clarity for midtone contrast. I let Lightroom find the black point by using shift double click on the Blacks slider title. Then finished by moving the tone curve sliders to lights +10 Darks -10 and Shadows -20.

These develop setting where copied to the other images using the "Previous" button in the Develop module.

The only difference is that the sunny face images had +2 EV exposure added. I shoot a 3 frame bracket when doing this kind of stuff, but selected the 0EV image and added the exposure compensation in Lightroom. The tree image did not need exposure compensation in Lightroom. I also chose the 0EV image from the bracket.

All where shot on a tripod using a cable release. I leveled the camera in both planes with the digital level via the LCD. Its apparently not that precise based on the sunny face images.

[​IMG]

In addition to the barrel distortion at F2.0, there is also some vignetting evident.
    [​IMG]

Here is a corrected image that has some vertical and horizontal elements as well as detail in the periphery. Again processing was copied from the wall image and then a virtual copy made and lens profile tick box was unchecked.

[​IMG]

The uncorrected image again shows vignetting. It also looks, probably because of the vignetting to be a bit more contrasty around the edges.

[​IMG]

These two versions of the tree, suggest that the lens profile may not benefit a landscape or other image that lacks strong vertical or horizontal elements near the edges and corners of the frame.

Based on this early experience with the lens, its going to hard to justify the 25mm Zeiss lens that's coming for more than twice the price.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
  10. dmward

Mar 21, 2015
    Metro Chicago
    David
    Here is another image of the tree. All processing is as above, including lens profile. The only difference is this is at F8.0.

I apply sharpening starting with presets that I downloaded for my Fuji XT-1.

The settings for these images are: Amount 45, Radius 1.0, Detail 100, Masking 50.

The preset has Masking to 10, I find that using the slider to fine tune the mask helps to control halos while still keeping fine detail where I want it.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. dmward

Mar 21, 2015
    Metro Chicago
    David
    Here is a pano made using the feature added to Lightroom 6 (CC). The images used were shot handheld, in 3 frame bracket sets. I selected the center, 0EV, frame from each bracket set.
    The 28mm lens was set to F5.6 and OSS was on in the A7M2. Lens profile is applied. Interesting that it can be turned off and one for the completed pano as well.

[​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. TedG954

TedG954 TalkEmount All-Pro

Nov 29, 2014
    South Florida and NE Ohio
    Ted Gersdorf
    Thank you for the comprehensive report!

13. Nexnut

Thanks a lot, David! Again I really like what I see here (and elsewhere) and I will definitely get that lens. Period. It's also welcome as a fast 42mm FOV standard lens on the NEX-7 and might even replace my 30mm Sigma and the SEL35f18, which I could sell for about the price of the 28mm FE.

14. HabsFan

HabsFan TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 10, 2013
    Ontario, CAN
    I was thinking it might also make a nice cheaper alternative to the Zeiss 24mm on APSC. 36mm vs 42mm is not drastically different

15. ztryfe

ztryfe TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 19, 2014
    Mexico
    Vic
    This!

I am seriously considering picking one, for a walkaround lens, specially now that I've decided to stay at APS-C, the 20mm is somewhat wide for me but very tempting too.

16. Nexnut

I bought another 20mm last week and sent it back two hours later. It wasn't a bad lens but OTOH not good enough on the NEX-7; mushy borders and corners even at f5.6. I heard of some better copies out there with useable corners wide open so I'm going to try some more samples even though I like my 19mm Sigma a darn lot even at f2.8, but the compact size of the 20 is very tempting indeed.

17. Nexnut

Not drastically different, but I've shot most of my stuff in four dedades somewhere between 28 & 50mm with the peak FL being 35mm FOV and for me the difference is significant, especially in confined or overcrowded spaces.

18. ztryfe

ztryfe TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 19, 2014
    Mexico
    Vic
    Yeah, the size of the 20mm pancake is amazing, its even smaller than the 16mm. That's a big plus for walkaround.

19. HabsFan

HabsFan TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 10, 2013
    Ontario, CAN
    I'm currently using the E35 as my go to prime. Great lens but I'm finding it a little tight at times. I'd try the 20mm but i think it's a little too wide for every day use for me. I might just set my kit lens on 28mm for a few days and see what I get.

20. Nexnut

I always thought that too, until about two months ago I forced myself to shoot 28mm exclusively for one month and now everything longer looks darn tight, even 35mm. In other words something of which I thought I couldn't handle it is my standard focal length/FOV now; how silly is that?

• Informative Informative x 1