• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

28-75mm + 70-350mm zoom and focus control locations

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
I have noticed that many users complain that the zoom control on the Tamron 28-75mm lens is forward and the focus control is closest to the camera body. The complaint is that many other lenses have their zoom and focus controls in reverse order with the zoom control closest to the camera body (the Sony 70-200mm f/4 G is set up this way).
However, I use the 28-75mm lens in tandem with the Sony 70-350mm G OSS lens (often on a pair of APSC bodies) and the zoom control on the Sony lens is also forward. Therefore it is very easy for me to use both lenses without needing to counteract muscle memory. Turning either of these zoom controls clockwise results in a wider focal length while turning counter-clockwise results in a longer focal length. That's another place in which my muscle memory doesn't need to be countered:yahoo:

firemist

TalkEmount Veteran
Richard,

Good to know, I'm thinking of adding the 70-350 to my kit, and pair with the 28-75 (and/or 35/1.8)

Peter

DaveC

TalkEmount Top Veteran
I had been saving for the FE70-300 for a while when Sony announced the 70-350. Since I only have an APSC body and this was a cheaper option, I decided to go for the 70-350. Since getting it in December, I have enjoyed using it a lot.

Seesheldon

New to TalkEmount
So I am reading these reviews and trying to decide whether to purchase the Sony 70 to 350 APSC lens, or the Sigma 100 to 400mm lens, I want to use it for travel, but I also want a lens for Air Shows. Would the Sony suffice.

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
When shooting most airshows, the longer focal length, the better. However, I have used a Canon prime 300mm f/4L IS lens on a crop sensor at the MCAS Miramar Airshow with decent (but not spectacular) results. The planes at the Miramar Airshow fly further away from the crowd than the planes fly at some other airshows.

I have used the Canon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS ii lens at the Planes of Fame Airshow in Chino, California and was able to get some very nice imagery at under 350mm for many of the shots... So, for this airshow, the 70-350mm might have been a viable alternative. Here is my smugmug.com gallery of shots from the Planes of Fame Airshow. You can see which images were shot under 350mm and which images were shot at a focal length longer than 350mm. https://rpcrowe.smugmug.com/Airplanes/Planes-of-Fame/
I plan on returning to the Planes of Fame Airshow this Fall and will be carrying my 70-350mm lens on an A6600 camera... I "might" rent a Sony 200-600mm lens for this event... IMO a 900mm effective focal length just might be awesome...

As far as using the lens for travel, I think that the size and weight of the Sony 70-350mm would make it a better lens for that use. You would be sacrificing 50mm on he long end but, you would gain 30mm at the short end. When I owned the Canon 100-400mm lens, I didn't carry it with me on any trips but, I would have brought it with me if a goodly portion of the trip would have been wildlife. When I transitioned from Canon to Sony, I opted for the 70-350mm lens because of its smaller package,,,

Latest posts

Top Bottom