1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

24mm lens suggestion

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by dixeyk, Jul 13, 2015.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I am thinning out my lenses and extra bodies and trying to create a bare essential kit (out of necessity). I have a pretty good idea of what focal lengths work and which of my lenses are preferable to others but I gave real trouble with 24mm. I have had several 24mm lenses (OM 24/2.8 twice, Konica Haxanon 24/2.8, MC Rokkor 24/2.8 and MD Rokkor 24/2.8) and I just don't have a good feel for them like I do other focal lengths. The MC Rokkor and the Hexanon were good but both are hard to find and more spendy than I can swing at the moment.

Does anyone have any suggestions for an alternative? I have heard good stuff about the Canon FD 24/2.8 SSC. I'm looking for reasonably sharp and the ability to close focus (say under a foot).

2. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    N├Žstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    Some of the old Sigmas 24mm f/2,8 could do the job. focuses to around 18cm. Sharpness hmm Its to long ago I had my copy to remember.
    Now I have a Zeiss ZF 25mm f/2,8 (for Nikon) which I find really sharp and it focuses to 17 cm. That is a fairly big lens though but it works well on the A6000 and I know I'm gonna love it once I get an A7 something since it is my prefered lens on my 24X36 film cameras

3. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    Since you use an Nex 6, the focal length you say you like is really 35mm. I highly recommend the MD Rokkor 35mm F2.8 and a speed booster / lens turbo. That's a great combo, and if you go for a cheaper lens turbo you can get them both for less than the price of a (usually very expensive) legacy 24mm.

Minimum focus distance on that Rokkor is a respectable 30cm.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  4. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I have had a total of some 6 Minolta 24mm lenses and all of them suffered from curvature of field, giving unsharp edges and corners even at f/8-11. The best one in my collection is the Olympus OM Zuiko 24mm 1:2.8, I have used it on a number of occasions and I've always been quite pleased with the results, no nasty surprises. That said, if corner performance isn't as important to you as it is to me, almost any legacy 24mm will do, most seem to be quite aliright in the central area once stopped down a few stops. I have a Vivitar (made by Tokina) 24mm 1:2.8 and a Vivitar (made by Kiron) 24mm 1:2 that are alright except for edges and corners; Kiron-made lenses are infamous for oily and sticky aperture blades, better check on it, mine is unuseable because of that.

5. pbizarro

pbizarro TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 24, 2014
    Portugal
    I have used a Nikkor AIS 24 f2.8 on my A7 with excellent results. This is a very good lens, even today. I have posted some images taken with it in other threads. Right now, I have placed my copy for sale, because I will replace it with a Nikon 20 f1.8 lens, which will allow me to shoot star scapes as well.

6. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I've had a very odd problem with more than a few of my 24's though...

I find that they do not ficus peak correctly. If I focus on a particular point something entirely different is the item in focus. It was close to what I had intended and if I was shooting a lot of middle distance images it would not be an issue but for the kind of closeup stuff I do a lot of it really puts a bit of a kink in things. The OM 24s were the worst at it followed by the MD Rokkor. The MC Rokkor and the Hexanon 24 didn't have the problem.

At first I thought is was user error and I was misfocusing but I've been shooting all adapted lenses for years and I haven't seen this with any other focal length. Any ideas? I ask because the OM 24 was the first leans I thought of because I already use some OM lenses and I have seen the output and it is nice, sharp across the frame and very compact. I also have an OM 28/3.5 that is quite terrific (and does almost everything I want a lens to do) but I just need a bit wider from time to time.

7. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

Hmm??? FPing marks those areas with the highest tonal contrast. I've never had any difficulties with any lens on any of my NEXes other than with an extended depth-of-field as it is typical for not too fast wide-angle glass but of a lot depends on the rendering qualities of individual lenses - transition from 'sharp' to 'unsharp' which can go rather smooth with one lens and more abrupt with others of the same FL (to keep it simple).
    How about focusing on something like a ruler or something contrasty that runs along the z-axis (close focus > infinity) and see how accurate you can focus with FPing. I just checked FP with my 19mm Sigma (even wider) in MF mode @f2.8 at a closer distance - no probs.
    Another way to see what's in focus is to turn FP off and use jpg sharpness @+3 instead - I use that quite a lot via EVF; works like a charm. Just discard the oversharpened jpg and process the RAW.

DSC00039-sm75.

8. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    I use a 24mm 2.8 Nikkor AI. I got it because it was the closest to 35mm (on my Nex-7) I could think of and it wasn't pricey (<$50). I wouldn't say I'm in love with it, my Micro Nikkor 55 is a lot sharper when properly focused, but you'd expect that from a Micro. I've posted some pics with it on different threads here on TalkEMount. I'd say it's OK and gets me the FOV I'm after. I know what you mean about 'a bit wider from time to time' too. That was one reason I got it.

9. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    DSC03426.JPG
    I just snapped this after looking at Ken's picture above. 24mm f2.8 1/25sec (I think) tripod shot, no flash.

10. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

Great little lens you've got there. I've never forgiven myself for selling my 85mm/f1.8 from that era.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  11. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    Same shot as I posted above. I only changed the subject lens to the 24. This is taken with the 55mm shown in the first shot.
    f3.5 1/15sec, no flash, tripod shot.
    DSC03427.JPG

12. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    My focus problems have been with my Fuji XE1. I don't have any 24's to test with the NEX. The Fuji's FP is terrible BTW so hopefully I won't have the isue with the NEX but I don't have much experience with 24's to draw from. I'll try that oversharpened JPEG trick and see how that works.

13. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Good legacy 24mm lenses are hard to come by affordable, as my experience taught me. Getting one that can achieve edge to edge sharpness and images that didn't look flat and refracted was my goal.
    The Hexanon AR is probably the best candidate mentioned, but still very pricey and rare.
    The Olympus OM Zuiko 24 f/2.8 is more available, but it'll still run you over $100 USD.
    The Nikkor Ai/AiS 24mm f/2 mentioned is also a good one, and faster.
    The Vivitar 24 f/2.8 made by Tokina that Ad mentioned gets a lot of good reviews. Those Tokina primes from that era (8-bladed iris) were all excellent.

I have a Tamron 24mm f/2.5 01BB and added an Olympus OM Zuiko 24mm f/2.8.
    The Tamron is optically the same as their 01B but larger and a bit more plastic. It's a an excellent lens with good sharpness and tonality from edge to edge. And the Olympus is outstanding, like most Zuikos. Very sharp and contrasty. And quite smaller than the big fat Tamron. Granted, the Adaptall-2 interface is the cause.
    I can whole-heartedly recommend the Zuiko, it won't disappoint.

As for the Sigma, I also hear it's pretty good. There's one on eBay now for $25-30.

14. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    I have the 24mm FD 2.8, I like it a lot. I'm not too picky but it is sharp and peaks well.

15. izTheViz

izTheViz TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    +1 for the FD. Have one and used it to death (till I got the FE 16-35)

16. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    What I have noticed is that OM 24/2.8's run just over $200 and Konicas/Minoltas come in at $250- $275. The Canon FD 24/2.8's run about $125. Of course you can always stumble upon a deal (I'm all about the deal) but those seem to be the going rates.

17. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I have heard a lot fo nice things about it and I have generally positive experiences from when I had the FD 50/1.4 (except hating the fiddly FD mount so I just never take the adapter off). Do you have the SSC version of the 24?

18. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    No the new FD. I believe you sold me your 50 1.4. I still use it quite often. Looks exactly like that one. Almost same size too

19. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Yes, had to wait very patiently for that Olympus of mine. I won't brag/mention what I got it for. Let's just say, I was VERY lucky. :)

The Tamron 01BB cost me $60, with an Olympus mount. It has paid for itself in its lovely results.

20. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I sold you my old 50? Makes sense. I thought I had sold it here. I was on this board by far the longest. As I recall I sold a number of things here.