1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

24hr Old Pueblo MTB race (pic heavy)

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by SpaceManSpiff, Feb 19, 2016.

1. SpaceManSpiff

SpaceManSpiff TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Eric
    Near where I live, there is an annual 24hr mountain bike race. With over 500 teams racing, a bunch of crew members, and spectators, a tent-city sprouts up in the middle of the desert for a week. It was nice be able to catch some of the action in the late afternoon for a change. All shots are with the NEX-6 and the Pentax-M 80-200 f/4.5

Dusty Trail.
    oldPueblo_24hr-09164-XL.

Prescott College Chase
    oldPueblo_24hr-09177-XL.

Colorado riders were excited about the good weather.
    Stoked
    oldPueblo_24hr-09194-L.

Some were hurting as they were slogging up the long uphill back towards the start/finish line on the 15 mile loop.
    Suffering
    oldPueblo_24hr-09220-XL.

Others were charging hard into the corners in a brief flat section.
    Get some
    oldPueblo_24hr-09206-L.

There was a fun variety of bikes and riders (young, old, serious and casual) in the event. From rigid singles, to suspensioned fatty's, and even coaster bikes.
    Fat 'n' Cranky
    oldPueblo_24hr-09232-L.

The late afternoon sun provided some nice light.
    Matching set
    oldPueblo_24hr-09278-XL.

Of course there were plenty of ladies on course.
    On the tail of the Unicorn
    oldPueblo_24hr-09271-L.

Red flag rider (in the fading light I had to bump the ISO up). ISO 400
    oldPueblo_24hr-09304-XL.

Grin and bear it
    oldPueblo_24hr-09329-L.

It was clear that some folks brought the big guns for the event.
    Eyes up
    oldPueblo_24hr-09339-XL.

The final moments of sunlight had a wonderful gentle feel
    Lone rider (ISO 800)
    oldPueblo_24hr-09354-L.

I have some late evening/night shots from the A7ii I will add later. Thanks for looking!

EDIT: evening and night pictures are now in Post #8

Last edited: Feb 20, 2016
    • Like Like x 12
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    What a great event and a lovely time of the year to be holding it.

Sent from my SM-N920P using TalkEmount mobile app

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. SpaceManSpiff

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Eric
    It was a really fun event. Not so serious --one team was wearing Tutus, others pajamas. And a perfect day too.

• Like Like x 1
  4. southy

southy TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 5, 2014
    Australia
    Looks like sweet countryside for a ride. Some great shots and nice lighting for it.

BTW did you not get the memo that said you can't shoot sports with a mirrorless camera, ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    All great shots, but I think I like the light in the last one best.

Where are the motors on those things? :hmmm:

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Mus Aziz

Mus Aziz TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2015
    Mus
    Nice photos Eric :thumbup:

7. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Fantastic images, and very cool event. It's an experience to mtb in the Sonoran desert, and all mtb enthusiasts should try single-tracking in the rocky desert.

8. SpaceManSpiff

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Eric
    As the sun went down, it was time to switch to the low-light camera set-up with the A7ii and the OM50 1.4

Sunset at Tent City. (ISO 200)
    oldPueblo_24hr_night-00483-XL.

There was a lot of action in the tent city. With food vendors, beer garden, massage tables, bike mechanics, it was busy. Many were gathered near the start/finish line and while most were social, some opted to wait for their riders in solitude.

Waiting (ISO 800)
    oldPueblo_24hr_night-00524-XL.

After some experimentation, I settled on using the spill light from the floods at the start/finish distance to illuminate the riders while panning. Although the hit rate was so-so, I got some keepers

We made the list (ISO 4000, f/2.8, 1/125sec)
    oldPueblo_24hr_night-00639-XL.

Last push (ISO 4000, f/2, 1/100sec)
    oldPueblo_24hr_night-00618-XL.

24hrs of Southern Discomfort (ISO 4000, f/2.8, 1/160sec)
    oldPueblo_24hr_night-00647-L.

End of the ride (ISO 4000, 1/125sec)
    oldPueblo_24hr_night-00589-L.

Thanks Southy! It is a nice spot and the snow capped Mt. Lemmon made for a nice backdrop. No, I was out of the office the day that memo got circulated!

While I was looking for some day-time shots, I stumbled across a guy sitting on a folding chair surrounded by a bunch of equipment, looking at his laptop while snacking on some peanuts. I thought he was a race official keeping track of timing, etc. It did cross my mind that it was a bit odd he was out in the sticks instead of over by the start/finish line. Eventually, he looked up. "Hey, you are in my shot!" What? "You have walked into my shot!" I look around. Ooops! Sure enough, I had. All that equipment was for an elaborate remote-triggering system for a Canon DSLR. Not being the photography experience i was aiming for, I moved on to another location.

Thanks, David! I like the light in that one too, right in the transition from golden hour to blue hour.

Thanks, Will! It looks like a hoot with a lot of fun people. With the extra rain this year, the trails have been looking good.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2016
    • Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dang, I've had an eye on the A7II for quite a while, looked at ...knows how many shots but this one finally got me:

oldPueblo_24hr_night-00639-XL.

Damn fine shot (and series) Eric! I already have one of the latest 50/1.4 Zuikos in a box somewhere and some more fine glass to use on that camera. Now can you believe that someone offered me a hardly used A7II + 2870 for 1100€ last week and I said no thanks. I must have been extra nuts that day.

• Like Like x 1
  10. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Great series indeed. The photos with the mountain at the background are amazing imo - and great lighting!!!

Sent from my iPhone using TalkEmount mobile app

11. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    Great series! Feel exhausted just looking at that motor bike tyre in fat n cranky.

12. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Very impressive low light actions shot additions. :)

Sent from my SM-N920P using TalkEmount mobile app

13. SpaceManSpiff

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Eric
    Appreciate it, Nick! Yeah, the light was great...it was unusual to get that light at a race, usually it is either early morning or mid-day, almost never towards sunset.

Thanks, Chris! Those fatties have been gaining some traction lately (haha! get it? oh nvm :p)...and I bet they can be really handy around here when the sandy trails get loose as they dry up.

Thanks Dave, I took many blurry shots trying to get the settings dialed in.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. SpaceManSpiff

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Eric
    Thanks, Ken! I really appreciate your comment.

I got my A7ii in January, after reading every review I could find...and getting some hands-on time with a friend's camera this past summer. Honestly, the transition from my NEX-6 has been a little rough. I just gel with that little camera...and some of my adapted glass hasn't held up very well on the full-frame A7ii. Thankfully, my prized OM primes (I have the 24 2.8, 28 2.8, 50 1.4, and 135 2.8), are hanging in there. But on that night, it all came together. The big viewfinder is a boon, and being left-eye dominant having it in the center is nice as my nose isn't always smashed against the LCD screen like it is on the NEX-6. Manual focusing is definitely easier than on the NEX-6 for some reason; some of it might be the EVF, but a big part is also IBIS stabilizing the magnified view when in focus assist mode. To me there is also more feel in the shutter button.

Funny you mention that image. I knew it, right when I took it that it was a winner. That three-dimensionality, and the detail in that ISO4000 image --would not have been achievable with the NEX-6.

Oh, if you are wondering my copy of the OM50 1.4 is a later version with a serial number after 1,1 million.

Cheers,
    Eric

15. jarvan

jarvan TalkEmount Regular

Jan 27, 2013
    Czech
    Jaroslav
    Nice photos, mostly BW and night are :2thumbs: