1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

24, 28, and 35mm adapted lenses

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Amin Sabet, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    I'm looking for some sort of adapted "normal" lens, either a 24mm, 28mm, or 35mm prime. I've owned many lenses in this category, including the Zuiko OM 24/2, Nikon 24/2.8 AIS, nearly all the Canon EF lenses, several Zeiss ZF/ZM lenses, CV 35/1.4, etc, and I'm having trouble deciding which one to buy for the NEX.

My ideal focal length would be 28mm (actual, not equivalent), and I'd like f/2 or faster. In general, I'm having a hard time choosing between an SLR lens (closer minimum focus, better edge sharpness for NEX) or a rangefinder lens (smaller, lighter). My budget is ~$500 max, cheaper being better.

Recommendations?

2. C Wadsworth

C Wadsworth TalkEmount Regular

Aug 31, 2011
    Amin,

I love my C/Y Zeiss 25mm f/2.8 - it isn't as fast as you were looking for but it has excellent micro contrast and that classic Zeiss look. I'm thinking about parting with it to help fund the 24mm 1.8 but am not sure. You should be able to find one around $500. It isn't small but feels great in hand and the focus ring is silky smooth. Love that c/y glass...

3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I have and enjoy my Vivitar 28mm
    Vivitar_28mm_f2-8_CloseFocus_06.

4. Travisennis

Travisennis TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    Jasper, Indiana
    I like the Voigtlander 28mm f2 Ultron. It's small and compact, and it gets you your desired focal length and speed. You lose out on close focus, but I've found that is not much of a hindrance for the kind of shooting I do. New it is's a bit higher than you budget though.

5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    True. Is it me or have all the Voigtlander lens prices gone up? I don't remember paying so much for my CV 35/1.4!

6. Travisennis

Travisennis TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    Jasper, Indiana
    It seems all of them have gone up in price in the last month or two. Most of them have raised about $40 or even $50.

7. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    Like all lenses, VC lens prices are going up w/ yen/$ exchange rate and even more when they replaced them with the new versions. You have to check the used ones/leica screw mounts. I remember used 35mm 1.2 and 50 1.1 were selling around $700 in ebay maybe a year ago. I haven't checked lately but new 35mm 1.2 II is at premium price.
    My favorite is VC 12mm 5.6 and 35mm 1.4 on nex-5. VC 12 doesn't need any focus at infinite and 35 has a smooth manual focus with 1.4 dof with a small package which makes it ideal for me. Other old slr lenses makes it too big and/or front heavy. However I haven't used the 35mm much since I got the fast AF EP3. I see that Reichmann uses 12mm also with Nex-5n which is included in his review.

8. C Wadsworth

C Wadsworth TalkEmount Regular

Aug 31, 2011
    What did you go with Amin? My 25mm is officially for sale $500 shipped to CONUS.

9. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    I haven't decided yet, but I'm leaning towards buying another CV 35/1.4. It hurts to pay so much more than I did the first time though!

10. Phoenix

Phoenix TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    Try www.mainlinephoto.com.au ( I get my voigtlander items from them) they also send stuff overseas and you can see how much items will cost in US dollars, alternatively you can also check out their used equipment which is kept in really good condition. You can email them and give them your queries and you will most likiely be contacted by Scott the owner / manager of the shop, he's a really good guy an avid photographer and mountain climber, he will be happy to help you out.

11. madmaxmedia

madmaxmedia TalkEmount Regular

Sep 30, 2011
    Los Angeles
    I don't know if such a rangefinder lens exists which meets all the criteria (including cost)? With SLR lenses I think it is much easier to come very close(maybe just not quite f/2), and at a low price. I think there are a few 24mm f/2 lenses that would be well under $500.

12. madmaxmedia

madmaxmedia TalkEmount Regular

Sep 30, 2011
    Los Angeles
    I won a Vivitar 24mm f/2 for under $100 a few months back and was ticked pink. Unfortunately when I received the lens the aperture was stuck. I got a refund which was fine, but would have loved to use that lens on my NEX...

There are a few 24mm lenses in various SLR mounts, if f/2.8 or so is okay for you. I figure on the NEX it's no big deal since higher ISO is no problem.

13. pictor

pictor New to TalkEmount

Sep 8, 2011
    I cannot tell you how good it is on a NEX, but I love my Canon FD 2/35mm on my E-PL1. It is a fantastic lens, which is sharp even wide open and offers a really nice rendering. There are more versions of this lens, I own the latest version.

14. bkxmnr

bkxmnr New to TalkEmount

Jan 21, 2012
    I absolutely love my Canon FD 35mm SSC f/2. I'll try to post a pic using the lens later.

15. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Welcome bkxmnr! Looking forward to your sample pic... :)