• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

24, 28, and 35mm adapted lenses

Amin Sabet

Administrator
I'm looking for some sort of adapted "normal" lens, either a 24mm, 28mm, or 35mm prime. I've owned many lenses in this category, including the Zuiko OM 24/2, Nikon 24/2.8 AIS, nearly all the Canon EF lenses, several Zeiss ZF/ZM lenses, CV 35/1.4, etc, and I'm having trouble deciding which one to buy for the NEX.

My ideal focal length would be 28mm (actual, not equivalent), and I'd like f/2 or faster. In general, I'm having a hard time choosing between an SLR lens (closer minimum focus, better edge sharpness for NEX) or a rangefinder lens (smaller, lighter). My budget is ~$500 max, cheaper being better.

Recommendations?

C Wadsworth

TalkEmount Regular
Amin,

I love my C/Y Zeiss 25mm f/2.8 - it isn't as fast as you were looking for but it has excellent micro contrast and that classic Zeiss look. I'm thinking about parting with it to help fund the 24mm 1.8 but am not sure. You should be able to find one around $500. It isn't small but feels great in hand and the focus ring is silky smooth. Love that c/y glass...

davect01

Super Moderator
Real Name
Dave
I have and enjoy my Vivitar 28mm
   ---            

Travisennis

TalkEmount Veteran
I like the Voigtlander 28mm f2 Ultron. It's small and compact, and it gets you your desired focal length and speed. You lose out on close focus, but I've found that is not much of a hindrance for the kind of shooting I do. New it is's a bit higher than you budget though.

Amin Sabet

Administrator
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
True. Is it me or have all the Voigtlander lens prices gone up? I don't remember paying so much for my CV 35/1.4!

Travisennis

TalkEmount Veteran
Amin Sabet said:
True. Is it me or have all the Voigtlander lens prices gone up? I don't remember paying so much for my CV 35/1.4!
It seems all of them have gone up in price in the last month or two. Most of them have raised about $40 or even $50.

serhan

TalkEmount All-Pro
Like all lenses, VC lens prices are going up w/ yen/$ exchange rate and even more when they replaced them with the new versions. You have to check the used ones/leica screw mounts. I remember used 35mm 1.2 and 50 1.1 were selling around $700 in ebay maybe a year ago. I haven't checked lately but new 35mm 1.2 II is at premium price.
My favorite is VC 12mm 5.6 and 35mm 1.4 on nex-5. VC 12 doesn't need any focus at infinite and 35 has a smooth manual focus with 1.4 dof with a small package which makes it ideal for me. Other old slr lenses makes it too big and/or front heavy. However I haven't used the 35mm much since I got the fast AF EP3. I see that Reichmann uses 12mm also with Nex-5n which is included in his review.

C Wadsworth

TalkEmount Regular
What did you go with Amin? My 25mm is officially for sale $500 shipped to CONUS.

Amin Sabet

Administrator
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I haven't decided yet, but I'm leaning towards buying another CV 35/1.4. It hurts to pay so much more than I did the first time though!

Phoenix

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Phoenix Gonzales
Try www.mainlinephoto.com.au ( I get my voigtlander items from them) they also send stuff overseas and you can see how much items will cost in US dollars, alternatively you can also check out their used equipment which is kept in really good condition. You can email them and give them your queries and you will most likiely be contacted by Scott the owner / manager of the shop, he's a really good guy an avid photographer and mountain climber, he will be happy to help you out.

madmaxmedia

TalkEmount Regular
My ideal focal length would be 28mm (actual, not equivalent), and I'd like f/2 or faster. In general, I'm having a hard time choosing between an SLR lens (closer minimum focus, better edge sharpness for NEX) or a rangefinder lens (smaller, lighter). My budget is ~$500 max, cheaper being better.
I don't know if such a rangefinder lens exists which meets all the criteria (including cost)? With SLR lenses I think it is much easier to come very close(maybe just not quite f/2), and at a low price. I think there are a few 24mm f/2 lenses that would be well under $500.

madmaxmedia

TalkEmount Regular
I won a Vivitar 24mm f/2 for under $100 a few months back and was ticked pink. Unfortunately when I received the lens the aperture was stuck. I got a refund which was fine, but would have loved to use that lens on my NEX...

There are a few 24mm lenses in various SLR mounts, if f/2.8 or so is okay for you. I figure on the NEX it's no big deal since higher ISO is no problem.

pictor

New to TalkEmount
I cannot tell you how good it is on a NEX, but I love my Canon FD 2/35mm on my E-PL1. It is a fantastic lens, which is sharp even wide open and offers a really nice rendering. There are more versions of this lens, I own the latest version.

bkxmnr

New to TalkEmount
I absolutely love my Canon FD 35mm SSC f/2. I'll try to post a pic using the lens later.

Latest posts

Top Bottom