1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

23mm 1.7 Hyperprime from SLR magic

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by Phoenix, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Phoenix

Phoenix TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    I saw this article from sonyalpharumours regarding SLR magic releasing a 24mm E-mount 1.7 hyperprime. From what was mentioned in the article it will be manual focus only and will probably be not as good as the 24mm 1.8 Zeiss, however at $379 rrp it will give shooters who want to shoot a fast 35mm (crop equivalent) more options. Noktor (which has been acquired by SLR Magic) has previously released a 50mm 0.95 for both M43 units as well as for the NEX, however it has recieved less than favourable reviews. I am unsure if the IQ from the lenses has changed since being acquired by SLR magic.

Has anyone had any experience any of the lenses from Noktor or SLR magic? Care to share your thoughts?

2. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    I saw it last night on Steve Huff's website. I think he reviewed some of their lenses, eg 28mm f/2.8, as he gets them directly from slr magic/noktor, sometimes even before the lenses were released. I don't know if they are one of the sponsors or not. Some of their lenses are based on c lenses so vignettes but lately they are trying to put better quality/more pricy ones. His previous reviews included in that news release:

New SLR Magic HyperPrime ā€œEā€ Mount NEX Lens ā€“ The 23 1.7 | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS

I also see now that Steve's Sony 50mm review is coming also.

3. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    They improved the 50mm f/0.95 a lot after they purchased Noktor. Well, it's still not the sharpest lens, but besides it's sharper overall it now doesn't really vignette on the APS-C sensor of the NEX, therefor it can't be the same Noktor as before. Still 1000 is a huge price for a lens where you don't know what you get.

As for the 23mm - sounds interesting! Manual focusing wouldn't be a problem if the focus ring isn't total crap - but it doesn't seem to be good on the pictures ... If the image quality is okay, I guess it's worth a try.

4. storyteller

storyteller TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2011
    Do you actually have a source for before/after comparisons? I have heard they've said they're coming out with an M-mount version of the 0.95 50mm lens which implies they've altered the optical formula enough to cover a full frame sensor. From what I've seen their fast 50mm still seems like a good first attempt but one I hope they improve and update sometime soon.

From what I've read about their recent top offerings I'm hopeful about the 23mm. The 12mm m4/3 and 50mm are generally regarded as well built and the 12mm is supposed to have comparable quality to the Oly 12mm...

5. Bugleone

Bugleone TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 21, 2011
    Are these just 'toys for boys' lenses?....ie interesting to play with but of doubtful photographic use......

The max aperture is useful for minimising depth of field (a current fad) and some low light work but if yo have to stop down to f5.6 to get a decent image then, frankly, you are better off with the kit zoom.

A big problem with these quirky lenses is that people love them and the web is full of it but many 'users' don't really even need APS-C camera because they are only seeing their images on screen at small size so anything would look half good anyway.

6. Phoenix

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    I agree, there's not much point in getting a one trick pony that you can only use at f5.6 and if the image is going to be viewed on screen in a small size.

However I think the main issue with the whole 'DOF-fad" is that it is quite easy to see, compare, and understand DOF (one wouldnt probably see much articles about moire as compared to DOF) and the proper utilisation of it gets lost in the process which is subject isolation.
    The extra speed may help with low light shots, but there are other ways of going about it too, a tripod, exp compensation, some compromise with composition, a play on the metering to a degree, using the in built functions such as hand held twilight and anti motion blur would help as well.
    Subject isolation however depends a lot on the lens used It's quite common to see lenses with focal lengths from 50mm and above that can go up to 1.8 and beyond, however it is rare (and is some cases even just a novelty) to see a 35mm or wider to be able to isolate subjects for lenses with these focal lengths are not primarily designed for that , and if it can indeed do it, is the image decent? if not, then what's the point?

Hence the interest in this glass, if it can do it, can it do it properly? and as for the practical applications...well...that'll depend from one user to another, whether they want to be able to shoot something wide but also have the option of concentrating on a subject, or if they just want to be able to brag that their lens can go up to 1.8,7,6,5 etc...

7. storyteller

Sep 25, 2011
    Perhaps but APS-C sized sensors changes this--well smaller sensors changes this--just look at how many fast super-wide angle (in 35mm terms) C-mount lenses are out there. A 23mm lens is a 23mm lens is a 23mm lens but on a APS-C camera it wants to be used as if it were a 35mm lens and I find a fast lens with that field of view useful.

8. Phoenix

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    That's pretty much the core of the appeal of this lens.

9. madmaxmedia

madmaxmedia TalkEmount Regular

Sep 30, 2011
    Los Angeles
    This is a new price point for SLR Magic, for this price and lens size it can't be a toy lens or 'specialized' purpose lens.

Their 28mm f/2.8 looks interesting as well (much cheaper so expectations are lower.)

10. storyteller

Sep 25, 2011
    I believe this is part of their "hyperprime" series (they need a new person in charge of naming their products--at least in English) which includes the 12mm mFT and 50mm f0.95 which are not cheap lenses. But yes, this is very different than the 28mm and 'toy' lens.

11. madmaxmedia

madmaxmedia TalkEmount Regular

Sep 30, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Oh yeah, I forgot about the 50mm f/.95...

12. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
  13. storyteller

Sep 25, 2011
    Hm... did a quick read of Steve Huff's review. A little disappointed but my expectations may have been to high. If anything it makes the Zeiss look better and better.