2013 List of Windows Freeware for Sony NEX Cameras

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Archer, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Archer

Archer TalkEmount Regular

Aug 19, 2013
    London, England
    I did a search for posts that mention the term "Freeware" on this forum and there was very few.

So could we get people to post links to places where we can download some great Freeware software for Image Processing and Video Manipulation.

I'll get the ball rolling with my next post.
  2. Archer

Aug 19, 2013
    London, England
  3. Archer

Aug 19, 2013
    London, England
  4. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I use RawTherapee,XnViewMP and GIMP. All multiplatform.

IfranView & IfranViewThumpnails are pretty nice for Windows users.
  5. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    I use www.photoscape.org/ps/main/index.ph alot
  6. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Ad Dieleman
    FastStone Viewer for viewing and editing jpg files. Adding text or drawings is very easy too. Resizing and cropping are very powerful, offering the option to predefine the size in pixels also for cropping. Resizing quality is excellent.
  7. sleekdigital

sleekdigital TalkEmount Regular

May 7, 2013
    +1 for FS Viewer. I've been using this for many years. I mostly use it for fast preview of jpg and raw files. Helps me find the shots that I want to edit very quickly.

Archer mentioned Serif's products, some of which I do like, but the free versions are limited. Full version of their raw converter is really slow.
  8. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    #$%@! I went to their site and it looks like a good product, but there doesn't appear to be a Linux version. :mad: My experience with the Wine windows emulator has been inconsisitent, so I won't be able to try this one. Linux's default image viewer sucks, although I do have others.

9. zeitgeist

zeitgeist New to TalkEmount

Sep 7, 2013
    Lightzone. Open source freeware. Accepts profiles for Nex cameras/RAW files.

Probably not as flexible as Lightroom but it's free and works well.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using TalkNEX mobile app
  10. porchard

porchard TalkEmount Rookie

May 8, 2013
    Photivo is a VERY capable freeware open-source photo processor, and is available for Windows, Linux, and Mac.

It has a somewhat difficult and unintuitive interface, but once I got used to it, I found the results to be absolutely excellent. It's well worth a look, but ONLY if one is prepared to make the effort to get properly familiar with it.
  11. Archer

Aug 19, 2013
    London, England
  12. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Ad Dieleman
    Thanks for this link! Looks promising although I don't know if I'm ready to give up on Lightroom. But you never know when Adobe finds new ways to squeeze undue amounts of money out of my commitment to Lightroom.
  13. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    We should ask Amin to make this a sticky and compile the list of software in the top post.

Raw Processors

RawTherapee - powerful, many features, but resource hungry. Cross platform.

Ufraw - simpler, fewer features, integrates well with Gimp, cross platform.

Raw Image Converter - Sony's own converter for ARW, included on the disk or can be downloaded from their site.

Image Editors

Gimp - very powerful, full featured cross platform editor. Approaches Photoshop in function. Strong plugin support. Should suffice for 90% of users who want to get into serious pixel level processing.

Paint.net - more like MS Paint on steroids. Has layers, levels and curves but lacks adjustment brushes, masks etc. Still very good for basic global processing.

Faststone - fast viewer with great interface and some editing tools.

XnView - another fast viewer with some editing and cataloging / tagging tools.

IrfanView - fast viewer with simple interface and some editing tools.

Picasa - Google viewer with strong cataloging and editing tools, integrated with Google+. Very powerful but not without it's quirks.

Specialized Tools

Noiseware Community Edition - a very decent noise removal software. Free version of Noiseware Pro, crippled in that you can only save the results as a preset quality jpeg with exif info stripped, but this is still great output and there are ways to copy the exit back. I was using it for a long time, then switched to the Wavelet Denoise plugin for Gimp.

Exifer - a tool to extract / edit / save / copy exif data between files. No longer developed but still works.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2