1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

2 silly millimeters

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Bimjo, Jun 1, 2013.

1. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    For those who think there isn't much difference in focal lengths in the UWA range I present these pics in evidence. These pictures were taken 3 years apart (almost to the day) with 2 different cameras mounting two different lenses. Obviously there's some slop because of the variation in equipment, but the pics still illustrate the point. The POV is slightly different as I hand held the 10mm shot and the 12mm shot was from the tripod approximately 18" closer to earth.

First up is the older shot, taken with my Pentax K20/Sigma 10-20 @ 10mm.
    [​IMG]

And the newer one taken with the 5N/CV12 3 weeks ago.
    [​IMG]

Notice that in the first shot I am standing inside the short wall, probably nearly touching the bench mounted to the inside. To get a similar fov with the CV I had to go outside the wall. Difference in distance from the boulder is about 8 feet or so (I didn't measure). If that wall were 5 feet tall instead of 2 feet tall I would not have been able to get the shot with the CV without stitching shots. As you can see, small difference in focal length for UWA can make a huge difference in getting or not getting the shot.

And wow, that white balance in the first shot is really messed up. I need to go back and fix that. :rofl:

2. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    Actually it is 2x1.5~3mm:)

I posted this before. What surprised me was the difference at wide angles eg 18mm vs 24mm is much wider then the difference between 24mm to 28mm.

A00596637ACE4CBB8013808636B9B411.

Enjoy your wide angle lenses:)

3. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Good point. ;) And I always have enjoyed them. :)

4. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Yeah, and that's why the 16-50mm lens is so much better (for me) than the 18-55. Night and day, really.

5. Tabibito

Tabibito TalkEmount Regular

Apr 1, 2013
    That's a nice comparison. Thanks.

6. Bugleone

Bugleone TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 21, 2011
    On teh basis of these pix, the Sigma zoon looks to be a much better lens that the CV12....Or perhaps the pentax is vastly superior to the NEX....what apertures were used?

7. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    They were both shot @ f/8. I'm still trying to find the sweet spot for focus on the CV12. Unlike the CV15, which you can fine tune for more distant object the 12 just doesn't seem to respond as well to focus tweaks. Recent playing with it points to setting the focus at the 0.5 meter click setting and leaving it there rather than trying to actually focus it. May work differently on other cameras, but that seems to be the case on my 5N.

The Sigma (the 4-5.6 version) is a pretty good lens, I wish now I hadn't sold it to fund the 5N, though I'm not sure how well it focused manually since I never tired it. ;)