• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

2 dark screens

sandgnat

New to TalkEmount
Real Name
james taylor
On my a7r the viewfinder went dark. While trying to turn it on I mistakenly pushed the wrong button. Now both screens are dark and I cant get to the menu.Any suggestions?Thanks!

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
If you press the shutter, does it take a picture? I am wondering if it is a battery issue, or something on board the camera body.

Something to try... Pop the battery out, wait a little bit. Charge it, preferably with an external charger. Pop it back in and turn it on.

sandgnat

New to TalkEmount
Real Name
james taylor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If you press the shutter, does it take a picture? I am wondering if it is a battery issue, or something on board the camera body.

Something to try... Pop the battery out, wait a little bit. Charge it, preferably with an external charger. Pop it back in and turn it on.
It takes great photos,but the screen remains dark. I have taken the battery out for a while,still dark

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
I found the following which claims to do a factory reset using the menus, even though you cannot see anything. I do not have an A7R to confirm that it is the correct sequence of control key presses for that particular model. Worth a shot over sending it in for repairs.

(Note: this will reset any custom settings.)

- Insert a battery
- Turn on
- Wait 15 sec
- Press MENU
- Press left
- Press down 2 times
- Press enter
- Press down
- Press enter
- Press up
- Press enter
- Press up
- Press enter
- Wait 10 sec
- The display comes up

sandgnat

New to TalkEmount
Real Name
james taylor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I found the following which claims to do a factory reset using the menus, even though you cannot see anything. I do not have an A7R to confirm that it is the correct sequence of control key presses for that particular model. Worth a shot over sending it in for repairs.

- Insert a battery
- Turn on
- Wait 15 sec
- Press MENU
- Press left
- Press down 2 times
- Press enter

- Insert a battery
- Turn on
- Wait 15 sec
- Press MENU
- Press left
- Press down 2 times
- Press enter
- Press down
- Press enter
- Press up
- Press enter
- Press up
- Press enter
- Wait 10 sec
- The display comes up
Thanks Bob.I have tried your reply several times;nothing.Must be time for repairs.
- Press down
- Press enter
- Press up
- Press enter
- Press up
- Press enter
- Wait 10 sec
- The display comes up

- Insert a battery
- Turn on
- Wait 15 sec
- Press MENU
- Press left
- Press down 2 times
- Press enter
- Press down
- Press enter
- Press up
- Press enter
- Press up
- Press enter
- Wait 10 sec
- The display comes up

sapoeijoek

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Edwin
On my a7r the viewfinder went dark. While trying to turn it on I mistakenly pushed the wrong button. Now both screens are dark and I cant get to the menu.Any suggestions?Thanks!
It happened to my A7II recently, but only the LCD screen went dark then the camera died. I took the battery out for hours then put it back in, it worked again.

Top Bottom